Question Regarding Flagyl

Guest peacehound

Guest peacehound

My girl Peace had explosive bloody stool last Thursday. The vet put her on Flagyl and said to give it to her until she improved. Well, the blood cleared and she no longer has to go out every couple hours. In fact, she only goes on her two walks each day just as usual. The stool is still at this point not formed, it has been a week. Should I be concerned? she is roaching and happy but it sure would be nice to be able to pick it up on walks!

I am feeding her rice/boiled chicken and a half cup of her regular kibble now. Her diet has always beens, a cup of kibble AM with yogurt, eggs or a slice of pbutter whole wheat toast. PM meals was always a cup of kibble with green beans, one fourth cup of wet dog food and maybe a spoon of potatoes or other vegetable we have with dinner. I was always so relieved she always had firm, easy to pick up stools.

Any ideas?

Others can chime in about feeding and meds. I'll just help with making it so you can pick up her poop: cheap paper plates. You want the thin kind that you can sort of roll up a bit to slip into the poop bag. The plates don't have to be big: I've got 6" plates around here that work well. The plates are effective on grass, dirt, pine straw--whatever.

They're also great to have when you need to collect a sample for the vet.

(I think it's too soon to worry. She probably just needs a bit more time.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It can take more than a week. I wouldn't worry yet, especially if the blood has cleared up. We deal with bloody/gelatinous stools with Rocket a couple times a year. I have started using Evanger's Canned Organic Chicken instead of cooking chicken for him. It seems to work better for him, I think because it is ground so fine that it's easier to digest. i can slowly start mixing kibble with it a little at a time until he is back on kibble after the bloody stools clear up.

Be sure to continue the Flagyl until things are back to normal, kibble can irritate the tummy and you will be back where you started .

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

i usually start w/ a one week dose of flagyl and call my vet if things aren't back to normal on day 7, then i talk to my vet and end up doing another week. it's a wonder drug! i also hesitate w/ kibble and usually introduce a tad during the later part of week one. dh hates the messy rice, but it works and i wait until things are really settled. g-d bless my rice cooker and flagy :bow

Guest peacehound

thanks all for your replies and suggestion. I plan to call the vet Monday if she doesn't improve over the weekend. She is just as happy and content as possible.