Peeing In The Car

Guest DragonflyDM

Guest DragonflyDM

OK.. this is sort of a funny story, but I am not sure if there isn't something seriously happening.

So, on last Wednesday, I have Boomer in the car, we go to my daughter's roller derby practice and it is nice a cool. I have the Prius v set up so the entire back is a bed and there are toys and snacks, and he can walk up to the back seat and look out. He has had this deal for all the time we have had him.

We get out of practice and Boomer kept trying to walk up into the front seat (pretty dangerous) while driving. We have never seen this before. When I got home, I realized that Boomer had been trying to tell us he had to pee. I know this, because my back seat looked like it was hit with a super soaker.

The next day I shampooed the car, and all was forgotten.

Last night, I had to take myself and Boomer south again. I wouldn't be home till late, so Boomer came along. It was raining and he got out of the car before I wanted to go home and he didn't want to tinkle. But I guess now that he was awake, he started his head, then head and body moving into the front seat. Unfortunately, I am on the highway,. I put my hand back to see if it is "raining" back there and it is coming out a few sprinkles but more of a leaky faucet than a riot control hose. Then he nearly jumps into the front seat, both legs on the arm rest and I hear the rain inside louder than the rain outside-- I empty my Burger King cup and put my right hand back and try to catch it all.

So here I am driving 70 on the high way, the rain outside stopped but the rain inside started, and I am looking for an exit. I get off the highway with the cup half full and we get to some grassy area and I let him out. He runs and is happy, and I noted before dumping the pee that it is very dark. Boomer pees a bit more and I think-- "oh well, he is a dog, and things happen" I wash my hands with the last of the water in the bottle and we get back in the car.

Dag nabbit,...if I don't get on the on ramp and start going north again, that Boomer doesn't run to the front (not three minutes after already peeing in the car and in the lawn) and starts to pee again.

Now, i am a VERY patient person who is very forgiving; however, when I started getting peed on a second time in five minutes after letting the first one go-- I yelled at Boomer for the first time ever. I screamed so loud that I lost my voice within a minute. Not my proudest Buddhist moment.

I was on vigil all night. I went back through my recent history and have noticed that the past week he will pee multiple times, usually the first time or so it will be a little sprinkle or leaky faucet and the second or third pee is a real gusher. His pee is normally light and clear but this was darker last night. His poop last night was not hard (it was like nearly black and plopped out like bread pudding).

I am sure that someone will mention UTI, and I hope it is only that, but I am wondering if it medical or behavior? It certainly is new.

Boomer and I communicate pretty much quietly. At home, when he wants to come out he will just stand in front of me and make little jolts like a flinch to let me know he wants to go out. I don't mind that he has something in the car, but he has never had this issue. And especially after letting him out to pee.

Last night I woke up every time Boomer got off the bed to take him out, whehter he wanted to or not. If he needs to pee at night he will jump off the bed and stare at me, which is so creepy it actually wakes me up no matter how tired I am. But I was so freaked out yesterday, i was barely sleeping anyway.

Sounds like an infection to me.

I feel your pain; a few weeks ago I was driving down the road and heard a noise and it was George peeing GALLONS in the back of the car. George no longer has a memory foam lined SUV to ride around in. George now has only washable blankets!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Dogs with a UTI will have to pee and often, sometimes just minutes after going. They feel the urge to go almost all of the time, same as with humans. I'd have the vet check him out.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Dark pee and dark poop sounds like dehydration to me. Is he getting enough water? You can check by gently scruffing him and the skin on his neck should snap back into place on his neck, it shouldnt tent up and stay out when you pull it. One thing you can try to do is catch some of the urine in a white towel to see if there is any blood. If it is pink at all, UTI.

Guest DragonflyDM

No blood. He may have been a bit dehydrated. He gets all the water he wants at home, but not always on the road. He devoured water when he got home last night.

Guest DragonflyDM

OK.. he was definitely not dehydrated by the test and the post-symptomology. He certainly seems to have the tell tale of a UTI, but I haven't gotten the pee to the doc yet. However, he seems much better. I am wondering if there isn't something else going on, because it is ONLY in the car... perhaps he is getting car sick?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Does he pant and drool at all when in the car? Or do you notice him swallowing or licking his lips? The latter can be signs of gastro distress, whereas the prior can be general distress.

Guest DragonflyDM

Neither. I find that he just (in the two times this has happened) tried to quiet climb into the front seat. Which I now know means “I gotta pee NOW.” I do think that he may have been dehydrated and perhaps have some crystals. I keep a no spill bowl in the car now because of it, and make sure we take lots of frequent potty breaks. It seems to have made a marked difference in the past two days.

Get a urine sample to the vet. Now, not later. Especially if you think he has "some crystals" -- although I'm not sure how you could possibly know that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DragonflyDM

Get a urine sample to the vet. Now, not later. Especially if you think he has "some crystals" -- although I'm not sure how you could possibly know that.

Just a hypothesis from experience with other pets in the past.