Phenylpropanolamine (Proin) Vs Diethylstilbestrol (Des)

Guest HuggableHound

Lucy has the same problem but, she also has seizures - so, you might be interested to know that she had her ultrasound today and I also allowed them to do a needle aspirate on the bladder which they will do a urinalysis and a culture on. Her last two cultures have come back negative. She is currently on the DES EVERY DAY until we get the culture results at the end of this week. Her ultrasound looked OK, no stones and the organs looked OK. We have not done an x-ray - not sure what that would show.

• 5 years later...
  • 4 years later...
On 4/16/2013 at 10:33 AM, duncan41 said:

If she were mine, I would continue to withhold the DES and treat her as if she has a UTI. If the leaking stops, I believe you may have an answer.

Please look into I-therm. It cured my girl's 24/7 incontinence. I'm not a hocus-pocus kind of person, was totally skeptical but desperate. Proin caused her acute renal failure, and she also had a clotting disorder so DES was not an option, either. I was the happiest person on earth when the leaking totally stopped after the third treatment. Remission lasted 6 months at which time the leaking started again, so 3 more treatments and she was again leak free and remained so until the end.

Please tell me if this continued to work for your dog or what you ended up doing?  We’re going through something similar and I’m at my breaking point.  

JenSnyder, Duncan41 ha not been back to this page since 2021. 

Since this thread was started many years ago Incurin seems to have become the better choice.

I'd suggest starting a new thread with your questions and what has been happening with your greyhound.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I just want to put in my 2 cents worth. 9 year old spayed female began having accidents/couldn't hold it/control it.  I began to give her this because there were so many great reviews on it and it was safe. (Of course vet sent urine off for detailed testing to make sure wasn't an infection etc. -which it wasn't.) Anyway this med 100% fixed her. She gets the regular am & pm chewy everyday and has been A-OK, no accidents etc. for 3 years now as she is 12! So I know this stuff works-at least on some dogs. https://www.chewy.com/vetriscience-vetri-bladder-soft-chews/dp/48737