Toe Amp Owners, Advice!

Guest cwholsin

Guest cwholsin

Our 8 yearold Nash had a toe amputation in early March. The surgery and recovery went well- but he's more sensitive about his personal space and that has resulted in an increase in aggression. I was wondering if any of you other owners of toe amps have noticed something like this, and when the dog went back to normal.

Help, please?

No changes in Gracie after her toe amp.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

No space aggression, but I always count all my fingers after I do Leah's nails. She doesn't trust ANYONE to touch her feet, but she was in pain for many months before we had the amp. It's been about 5 years and other than the paranoia over her feet, she's as normal as she ever was :hehe

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest cwholsin

It's odd, he's got no space aggression with humans but is definitely protective over his foot with the other dogs like he's afraid they'll step on it. It may just be him- he's never been very tolerant of painful experiences (the opposite of the stoic greyhound stereotype) and I'm worried this one will stick with him. It makes me mildly concerned about fights happening when we're not home. Fortunately, the puppy is always crated when we're not around- and she's the one who pushes Nash the most with her puppy shenanigans.

No issues here. It's still pretty early days after the amp and the foot may well still be sensitive -- hopefully that behavior will fade out as the healing grows more advanced. Beth was never touchy about her foot being handled but it was clearly easier for her to tweak it on occasion in a way that caused some passing discomfort in the first six months or so than it has been more recently (coming up on two years since the amp now).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I would suspect either lingering pain and/or lingering mental anguish ( ;) ) from being stepped on, or just from the surgery. He's probably being overly protective of that limb and not wanting anyone to even THINK about getting close to it. You might discuss a brief trial of pain meds to see if that takes care of the issue. Otherwise, muzzles all around when you leave, or leave them separated.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would suspect either lingering pain and/or lingering mental anguish ( ;) ) from being stepped on, or just from the surgery. He's probably being overly protective of that limb and not wanting anyone to even THINK about getting close to it. You might discuss a brief trial of pain meds to see if that takes care of the issue. Otherwise, muzzles all around when you leave, or leave them separated.

My thought too--I would try gabapentin and see if that helps.

No space aggression, but I always count all my fingers after I do Leah's nails. She doesn't trust ANYONE to touch her feet, but she was in pain for many months before we had the amp. It's been about 5 years and other than the paranoia over her feet, she's as normal as she ever was :hehe

Our Lea came to us with a toe amp and is the same way about having her nails trimmed - doesn't help that I quicked her once, either. We use a dremel now, but my husband has to keep hold of her while I do it.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Guest greyhoundude

My Keith (age 3) had a partial toe amputation three weeks ago. All went well and he's 90% recovered. No change in his personality and he's cool about letting folks near his affected foot.