Chad Won't Stop... Hiccuping?

Guest jvandover

Guest jvandover

Since last night, Chad is pretty consistently doing what I will call "hiccuping", it is essentially that motion that is a stretching of the neck and slight opening of the mouth along with a noise that a dog typically does 4-5 times before vomiting. (I sure hope that made sense). Last night I heard some gurgly noises coming from his tummy, but he is pooping fine (last night and this morning) and he is eating and able to swallow fine. Last night these hiccups were near constant, now he is only doing it once a minute or so.

Has any one else experienced something like this? Do I need to take him in?

I'm not sure that sounds like hiccupping. You might want to try to get a video of it. The way you describe it, it almost sounds like attempting to vomit without producing anything, which is worrisome but I'm not sure this is really what you mean.

Kili does truly hiccup. It literally looks and sounds like a human hiccup and often happens after she eats or drinks too fast or when she's been running around like a crazy dog and then stops for a drink or a snack. I don't have a video of her doing it but it is very obviously a hiccup. I've never seen Summit hiccup.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Are you familiar with reverse sneezing?

If this is what it sounds like, hold your fingers lightly over his nostrils and gently tilt his head up with your other hand. (You just want the chip up a little high--nothing extreme.) Keep the fingers over his nose until he's forced to swallow. Then let him go and see if that stops the spasm.

For more info, see here.

Edited to make Chad a boy. :)

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Kasey does something similar to that (neck stretching and nearly a wheeze), however it involved with lip licking. We discovered an inflammed esophogus from acid reflux. Pepcid was recommended and problem solved.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest jvandover

Kasey does something similar to that (neck stretching and nearly a wheeze), however it involved with lip licking. We discovered an inflammed esophogus from acid reflux. Pepcid was recommended and problem solved.

Yes! Last night he was licking his lips too, and he seemed a little gassy. That could definitely be it.

He seems fine now, but I will keep an eye on it and maybe try Pepcid in the future.

how is he today? Whenever I hear symptoms like this I think bloat, but I'm gun-shy on that.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Here is a different video of Greyhound reverse sneezing:

Reverse sneezing can have various causes. Our girl's long-term, severe reverse sneezing was caused from nasal mites. Medication cleared her problem.

Probably not Chad's case since his episode only occurred for one day. Hope Chad continues to improve.

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest jvandover

He seems fine now. I am leaning towards the irritated throat thing, since it cleared up after 24 hours or so. I never really felt it was bloat (although he did look a bit gassy/bloated) because his stomach was all gurgly, and I have read (maybe incorrectly) that that is not typical with bloat. Also, he was pooping fine.

If he does it again, I will take a video, it isn't quite the same as the reverse sneezing.