Need Advice!

Guest Isabella

I also agree that it is very difficult to train reliable recall. Dudley knows there is a difference of when we are training, and when we are not, and even after a year he still takes advantage of that. When most dogs escape/get loose it is in very unpredictable situations that can be hard to train for.

If this is indeed the norm, then we should not rely on recall if the consequences of non-compliance could yield a tragic outcome.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

I train for recall and practice it regularly. I do not depend on it. I do everything in my power to keep my dogs safe. No matter what breed your dog is a recall should never to be considered "fail-safe." But, if you don't train and you don't practice what chance do you have? or should I say, What chance does your dog have?

edited because I can't spell.

Edited by june

We should all train and practice recalls; I'm not throwing it under the bus. All I'm saying is that it just has no place in dangerous or potentially life threatening situations. I'd hate to think that someone could develop a false sense of security if they have excellent practice recall, only to have it fail in a situation where it was needed the most. How's this for naïve: as a new first-time dog owner, I assumed that learning recall would guarantee that my dog would obey me 100% of the time. HA! Hence, my point.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

We should all train and practice recalls; I'm not throwing it under the bus. All I'm saying is that it just has no place in dangerous or potentially life threatening situations. I'd hate to think that someone could develop a false sense of security if they have excellent practice recall, only to have it fail in a situation where it was needed the most. How's this for naïve: as a new first-time dog owner, I assumed that learning recall would guarantee that my dog would obey me 100% of the time. HA! Hence, my point.

This is a good point.

It is possible to teach recall in such a way as to achieve a history of 100% recall (http://www.brisbeethewhite.com/id26.htm), but this is not the same thing as saying “I guarantee that my dog will always have 100% recall in any situation". No-one can ever say that.

I'm not saying it's easy to teach (a history of) 100% recall, but it is possible if you have the motivation and the aptitude, plus the time and persistence and patience etc, which realistically many people do not. BUT, even if you've done the training, and continually practice recall to maintain it, this does not mean you can rely on it and stop being sensible and cautious and vigilant about your dog's safety.

Recall training your dog is no guarantee of safety, but it is a very good tool to have in your box. Teaching a history of 100% recall is the best you can have, but any degree of recall training is better than none, and you never know when it might just save your dog's life.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

this is not the same thing as saying “I guarantee that my dog will always have 100% recall in any situation". No-one can ever say that.

Agree 100%. That's why I don't understand why people routinely allow their dogs off leash (greyhounds or otherwise).

Sir Dudley was a horrible racer, but he will bite your hand off to get to the squawker!

Henry too! The first time he heard a squawker after coming home was at the GIG Speed Run... and he slipped his collar and went for it during another dog's turn. :blush

Guest zombrie

Here is good information on how to train recall for those who don't know how to go about it. Not only will it hopefully avoid a situation where she gets loose, but training of any kind also helps with bonding. I think this blogger makes a great point to always touch the collar to go along with recall.. "As soon as my greyhound catches me, I feet a generous portion of my high value treat and I touch the collar with my other hand. The reason I touch the collar is so my dog learns that part of the recall is having your collar grabbed. A recall is not very useful if your dog cannot be caught."
http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/search/label/Recalls

Edited by zombrie

For hounds who don't recall to the squawker, or if they lose interest, you can use that very high reward treat to pique their interest. Worked really well here on my Houdini dog, Bailey. And yes, intermittently rewarding when they come to you is most effective.

Luckily my Houdini is now almost 13, and he seems to have lost interest in going on adventures.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest Isabella

At this point with Izzy recall is a dream that I hope to someday reach, Izzy is not my first dog, just my first sighthound and i can already tell that there are some dramatic differences, she is also the first dog I have had that came from a very abusive background, put these two things together and I can tell you I have A LOT of learning to do. I work on recall in the house, with very short distances and a very good treat, she is doing better and when I get my fence up this spring I hope to expand recall practicing. the fact is though that Izzy was a totally different dog out there running loose than she is in the house, her survival instinct kicked in and without having my schnauzer as a lure it would not have mattered HOW GOOD the treat would have been she would not have came. I just hope that someday she will look at me with total trust and love.

I just hope that someday she will look at me with total trust and love.

Your bond can't help but grow with each day that passes. I'm so sorry your girl was abused and it may take her a little longer to trust, but the bad days are over now and time has a way of healing the spirit. I hope my hound never had to know abuse, but I do see some positive changes in the 3 months we've had her. When taking our walks, I've noticed that my girl no longer statues, which to me means that she trusts me not to lead her to some scary far-off place. And party times are getting hardier (which I adore); apparently it's like winning the lottery when I come home. I just know the list will grow much longer, as will your own. It's very apparent that you love your Izzy and that's what really matters! :cheers

My Etsy Shop