Treating Cuts/scrapes

We were just on our way for our walk this morning, and on the way to the trail Teague jumped up on a snowbank along the sidewalk to sniff. He jumped down and landed straight onto a patch of ice and totally wiped out onto his side/back. :( Now, if this was any other dog, I am sure it would have stood up and have been fine, but his thin greyhound skin has about 4 scrapes on it.

3 on his leg, one small one above his eye...poor boy

IMG_0843_zps56ece657.jpg

The elbow one is the biggest..you can see the skin tear.

IMG_0847_zps0a4d3f95.jpg

I have just scrubbed each one with a wound soap from the vet that I already had, plus flushed them out and put ointment on them. They are not bleeding at all really anymore, but I was just wondering if there is anything else I should do. Does this kind of thing need vet treatment? I know it is quite small iin the world of greyhound skin tears, but have never had this happen before.

Guest IrskasMom

Oh Dear , that poor Boy . Give him some big Hugs from me please. :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

Just recently I purchased PawFlex. Like a Bandaid for Dogs for that Purpose in Case.

Poor baby :beatheart Keep it clean and dry and it should heal up fine, watch for usual signs of infection; swelling, warmth, etc. He might be a little sore tomorrow just from the fall itself. I used to "scoop and run" for cuts and scrapes, but have learned some basic triage skills and it sounds like you knew exactly what to do.

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Thanks...I have gauze and vetwrap, but since the wounds aren't bleeding much I have kept them unbandaged. Are these kinds of things better left open, or should I wrap them??

Teague is doing fine, he is limping a bit due to his elbow, but is otherwise okay.

I wouldn't wrap if it isn't bleeding, the wrap may cause him to "worry" over it. Until it scabs over good, just keep it clean.

Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

The one on the elbow is going to be a bugger to heal--hopefully, he'll lay down on his left side for awhile.

I was worried about that too...he had a cut on a joint on his back leg last year that took FOREVER to heal. It kept reopening, and even though it seemed like a small cut, it bled like you wouldn't believe. At least these scrapes (even though they look gross) don't seem to be deep. They are oozing a bit, but no major bleeding or anything.

Updated shot...should I bandage this one up or is it better left to dry in the air??

IMG_0850_zps54e2561f.jpg

This one is very small but I am sure we will have yet another eye scar!

IMG_0848_zps8cdcdf78.jpg

I can't believe a little fall on the ice did this...his skin reminds me of my pet bunny's skin. SO thin!

It's best to leave them uncovered to heal.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I know it looks bad...my girl Emmi sliced her rear leg just below the hock and it was raw and split open, I didn't even know it happened until I saw it at bedtime, I flushed it, cleaned it and even by the next day, it started to dry up and heal, hers granulated and filled in. I bet it will look better in 24 hours. Due to the movement, the elbow will probably take some time, but it should be fine.

Wylie fell on the ice to a few weeks ago and had a similar cut. I took him to the vet because he was also limping. We did treat him with antibiotics as a precaution, but he got no stitches and I have left it uncovered and he has pretty much left it alone. The scab came off recently and it looks raw again, but as long as he is not bothering it, I am leaving it open.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Aside from what you have already done, with skin tears, our vet told us to get some Preparation H and put it around the outside edges of the wound to shrink the tissue so the wound would close up faster. Apply twice a day after you have cleaned the wound. I know it sounds weird, but it has worked with wounds like the one Teague has (Willy seems to always get skin tears like these...we would forever be going in for staples and stitches if we didn't know how to treat them ourselves). I am not sure if you recall that really large skin tear that Tiana had on her side a couple of years ago? the one that was the size of my hand on her flank that had to be left open and took 2 months to heal? that is how we learned about the Prep H....

The Crazy Quints send their love to Teague....hope he feels better soon...Janette

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)