Crating Question

Guest Thall447

Guest Thall447

My boy Kota loved his crate at first, and I was teaching him the Kennel command with treats. But recently he will not go into his kennel even for a treat anymore if he thinks I am going to close the door. He will still go in on his own to relax, but will get out if he thinks im going to shut it. I havent had him long enough to leave him out of the crate all the time though. Suggestions?

Guest IrskasMom

What makes you think , he needs to be in the Crate ? Has he been doing his Business in the House or has he destroyed things ?? My Boy was one Day in the Crate , that is it.

There is no "rule" about how long you need to crate a dog.

If he's housebroken, there's really no reason to crate him. Just dog proof the best you can, and give him a try!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Thall447

He is housebroken, and will let me know when he needs outside, but has had some accidents where it seemed like he was marking (i.e. shortly peeing on something without letting me know like he does normally). I have only had him a week, and he will still try and chew pillows etc. from time to time, so I dont plan on crating him for much longer, but at least until I get enough training through pos reinforcement to do the right things. I dont want to physically put him in the crate either, because that seems like negative reinforcement.

Guest NancyS

My girl would only go in her crate if I went to the freezer and took our a Kong stuffed with Peanut Butter. As a matter of fact, she would stand on her head for that Kong. It was the only time she got that treat. Just a suggestion!

Do you have an x pen or baby gate whereby you could leave him some space in an area in your home where he couldn't destroy anything. Does he get lots of exercise?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Crate aversion can develop when the only time you crate your dog is when you're leaving the house. My advice is to start crating him for small intervals of time when you are home. When he goes in the crate, reward like crazy. Use high value treats, like Kongs or bones to entice him. Then leave the house for ten minutes, come back and let him out. There are some dogs with true crate anxiety that require an alternative training method... However, if your boy is going in his crate regularly with the door open, it sounds like you can still work with it. If he is reluctant to go in, don't push or force him in. Trying gently leading him by the collar, encouraging him in a happy tone, saying 'yes!!' and 'good boy!!' when he goes in.

I agree that it's not a good idea to stop crating altogether if your dog isn't reliably housebroken and there's a likelihood of him being destructive in the house. Here is another good resource on crate training.

http://www.goldengreyhounds.com/about/training.htm

Guest Thall447

We go on runs or long walks everyday, and the weekend he gets a lot of exercise haha. My appartment isnt really big enough to xpen him.

Do you have an x pen or baby gate whereby you could leave him some space in an area in your home where he couldn't destroy anything. Does he get lots of exercise?

Ill try this, i have the kong etc. Today I made a mistake and coaxed him in with a pig ear, which he snatched and backed out of the kennel. Then there was no getting near him without a growl at me because he thought i was trying to take his treat haha. Had to wait till he finished before I could put him in the kennel.

Crate aversion can develop when the only time you crate your dog is when you're leaving the house. My advice is to start crating him for small intervals of time when you are home. When he goes in the crate, reward like crazy. Use high value treats, like Kongs or bones to entice him. Then leave the house for ten minutes, come back and let him out. There are some dogs with true crate anxiety that require an alternative training method... However, if your boy is going in his crate regularly with the door open, it sounds like you can still work with it. If he is reluctant to go in, don't push or force him in. Trying gently leading him by the collar, encouraging him in a happy tone, saying 'yes!!' and 'good boy!!' when he goes in.

I agree that it's not a good idea to stop crating altogether if your dog isn't reliably housebroken and there's a likelihood of him being destructive in the house. Here is another good resource on crate training.

This. And taking it even a step further... ask him to go in and don't shut him in. So in the evening when you're home ask him to go in. Give him a treat and immediately let him back out if he wants (or if he chooses to stay in there just keep giving rewards and don't shut the door... as long as he stays in the crate he gets rewarded). When he comes back out don't reward him or make a big deal, don't coax him out. Then ask him to go back in again. Ask him to go in and let him come back out several times in a row (like 5) and then just walk away. Do this several times at all different times of day. Do it several times in the morning before you do finally shut the door to crate him.

Any time you see him in the crate on his own with the door open toss him a treat, or give him something really good like a pig's ear to eat in there.

I personally think it is super important for dogs to like (or at least amicably accept) crating. I have way too many animals in hospital that freak out, cry, howl, dig, and chew when they are hospitalized. At some time in any dog's life s/he will probably have to be in a cage/kennel and it is best for everyone involved if the dog can deal with it, better if they like it. Kili runs right in there whenever it is open. If I bring her to work on a quiet day and let her wander around loose (or have a play date with a co-worker's dog) I always leave the observation kennel door open for her. When she decides it's time for a nap she goes right in and lays down. Even Summit who hasn't been routinely crated in several years has to accept being crated the odd time. When we visit my inlaws the dogs have to be crated when we aren't home. They aren't comfortable with the dogs being loose and I totally respect that. It also means that when we go for family dinners we are often allowed to bring our dogs and crate them somewhere in the house. Summit runs right in, settles down with his treats and then takes a nap. No fuss.

And yes, Summit started to not want to be crated after we'd had him home for about 3 months. But he was housebroken, small animal safe, and not destructive. He was a bounce and had previously been in a home for 2.5 years. And he will still crate nicely for the non-routine days when it is needed.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Agree with krissy. Both of mine will accept being crated at the vets or on days out, but we do not crate at home and never have done. Although this is a national difference (crates just not as common among Australian dog owners), I don't see the need to crate if your dog isn't destructive.

Guest Isabella

Some great advice here, I have only had my Izzy for about 2 weeks, she doesn't HATE going in the crate but it takes a little shove to get her in, I like the advice of putting her in there for short bits while I am home with a good treat....I tried baby gating her in a small area but she had an accident that way, so for now the crate will have to do. Also I leave some music on when I go, I know some people think that is crazy but it seems to calm my dogs to have some background noise. They prefer R & B ;)

Crate aversion can develop when the only time you crate your dog is when you're leaving the house. My advice is to start crating him for small intervals of time when you are home.

:nod It also helps to feed all meals in the crate. This way, the crate becomes part of their daily routine for something other than when you leave, and it's also something most dogs look forward to and enjoy.

You might want to initially feed him in the crate with the door open. Then progress to closing the door while he eats and opening it before, or immediately as, he finishes. Then gradually leave him in there for brief periods after he's done eating.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Going to go against the crate here - Neither of our hounds did well in the crate - Panicking and injuring themselves. Toley broke a tooth trying to get out. We finished our housebreaking by leaving him out with a belly band and muzzle. He is fine during the day now.

Not all dogs like the crate.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12