Rbc

Guest greytbookert

Guest greytbookert

Aly's initital bloodwork has come back. It's been awhile since I've had to analyze bloodwork, so please chime in with any thoughts.

RBC 5.79

Hemoglobin 15.1

Hematocrit 38.9

Platlet count 340

From what I can recall, the results look like she could be anemic or am I imagining things?

A little back history. We just adopted Aly, we don't have too much information on her previous health. She's a bit underweight but that could be due to stress, she needs a dental, looks like her back right hock was broken at one point. She is perky and has a good appetite.

Any thoughts? I'm obviously going to speak with the vet but thought I'd ask here, to "remind" myself of the greyhound differences :)

Yep, she's anemic. Good ballpark figures are here: http://www.greythealth.com/blood.html

Did they do a chemistry panel too?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytbookert

Yes, I have the Superchem.. what figures do you need? or what do I need to look for, ask, etc?

Edited by greytbookert

Is anything out of normal range on the superchem?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytbookert

Is anything out of normal range on the superchem?

Haven't got that far yet. Aly's the first hound in a LONG time, where we had questionable results :(

I'd do a TBD panel

That's what I was thinking too....

Urine came back clean, so we have that going for us :)

Edited by greytbookert

Guest greytbookert

I just did a quick run through of the superchem and I don't see anything remarkable.

Her T4 is .5 on the low end but by itself, I shouldn't be concerned, correct?

Nah, don't worry about the T4.

Could just be nutrition/weight issue but I would talk to your vet. She should probably be wormed, too.

According to some vets I've talked with in the past, her HCT is very, very low. Greyhounds should run well over the normal. I'd have to find the email as to what point they (OSU) recommend a transfusion. I want to say under 30 but I have to try & find it.

How old is she?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

She's very anemic for a gh. I would de-worm her ASAP. There really isn't a true negative fecal result. Se could have a wicked case of hookworms. You could also run a fecal occult test to see if she's losing blood through her stool.

I would repeat the hematocrit with a fresh sample of blood because something's screwy... usually you can take the hemoglobin x 3 and it approximates what the hematocit is - which tells me it should be about 45 (vaguely remember this from decades ago) , the RBC is about what I would expect for a hematocrit of 45 also. I would also ask for a smear and have them look at the cells - there could be some deformity that makes the RBC smaller than they should be (for example, sickle cell anemia in people cause the RBC to have a distorted shape) - check to see if they did something called indices - that calculates the size of the RBC based on the RBC count and the hematocit. Of course they don't do lab tests the same way as when I worked in a lab so I could be off here.

45 would still be low for a greyhound but, not like 38.

Is the rest of your hounds on monthly heartworm prevention?

There's 3 ways a RBC could be decreased---either their losing blood, not making rbc's (bone marrow suppression) or destroying blood cells (immune mediated, tbd). De-worming is the easiest and IMO the first step.

Do you remember if the lab mentioned reticulytes??

Guest greytbookert

Is the rest of your hounds on monthly heartworm prevention?

There's 3 ways a RBC could be decreased---either their losing blood, not making rbc's (bone marrow suppression) or destroying blood cells (immune mediated, tbd). De-worming is the easiest and IMO the first step.

Do you remember if the lab mentioned reticulytes??

Yes, Cindy and Adam are on monthly heartguard, year round.

I'm not seeing anything on the report for reticulytes. I did just notice that the MCHC is at 38.8. What does that mean? I know what it stands for but I don't know, in conjunction with the other results if it is good or bad.

I read up on th reasons for anemia and it kind of started making me nervous. :( I'm really hoping I get some time with the vet today.

The MCHC is one of the indices. It is calculated from the Hematocrit and the Hemoglobin and indicates the amount of hemoglobin relative to the size of the cell. What are the other indices like MCV and MCH?

If this was my dog, I would repeat the Hematocrit. Numbers are not adding up and it could be the true result, but before continuing down any path, I would want confirmation. I'm thinking that it's a possibility that the original blood got clotted and they didn't notice it - doing cell counts on clotted blood would give you strange results. I would think that your vet would have a way to do just a Hematocrit in their lab rather then sending it out. It's a pretty simple test to do. The vet doesn't have to do it either - they can have the vet tech draw the blood and run the sample (if they have the equipment).

Check to see if they did a smear - that is usually where the reticulytes show up (if I remember right). From checking the web, yup it is seen in the blood smear and they usually do a special stain to see them (link) although it looks like there is automated equipment available now to count them.

The MCV is the size of the RBC and as I suspected - the calculated value is low.

When they draw her blood they will take a "lavender top" tube - make sure that they gently invert the tube a few times IMMEDIATELY after filling it with the blood draw. The tube has an anti-coagulent that prevents the blood from clotting. They should not let it sit while they finish drawing any other tubes - if they do, there is a chance there could be small clots forming. I have been know to pick up the tubes myself and invert them if I don't see a technician doing it immediately.

Let us know what the new results are.

Note, if the Hematocrit comes back a different value, ask for your money back (or a credit) on the other bloodwork.

Guest greytbookert

Update on Aly!

We finally saw the vet and reviewed the results. I pushed the values for greyhounds as well as the information all of you provided (THANK YOU) and she was in agreement that something looks off. However, when we saw the vet on Tuesday, Aly was feeling a little under the weather. She had a slight fever but is doing fine now. She was given subq fluids and an anti-nausea shot. She was back to her silly self in no time.

Back to the blood work... We are going to fully retest in a week and do a full tick pane. We have to get to the bottom of this before she has a much needed dental. At first glance, there are at least 8 extractions necessary :( When she is under for the dental, they are going to x-ray her rear right leg. It was obviously broken at one point and is causing her a bit of pain and has very limited range of motion.

In other news with Aly, she is quite the little character, very vocal when she wants something! :hehe

Edited by greytbookert

Glad she's feeling better! Hopefully the next blood work will be better.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee