Can A Dog Throw Up And Still Have Bloat?

Reggie had his dinner about 3 hours ago. He's been restless and swallowing like he has an involuntary spasm in his throat. I noticed this about 20 minutes ago. I was actually relieved when he barfed up about half his dinner a few minutes ago, but he's still doing the spasms and pacing around. He ran outside and tried to eat some dirt after he threw up. He is belching and I heard some burbling. I guess he probably needs the e-vet?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

It depends if there is a blockage somewhere and as you are worried it will need to be checked by a vet asap. At least phone them now.

It may be that something is partially lodged in his Oesophagus. Give him some anti gas medication that has Simeticone as the active ingredient to buy time just in case as swallowing air makes it worse.

I think that it is not possible for a dog to throw up productively while suffering bloat, but you should definitely talk to a vet if he doesn't settle quickly. But I am not a vet and have never had a dog bloat.

What did Reggie have for dinner - usual thing, or anything new? Could he have got hold of anything odd?

I would observe him carefully and at the very first sign that he is worsening or showing new symptoms, get him to the emergency room ASAP.

Danger signs include:

Standing with his back slightly arched and tummy tucked up, head low

Unproductive vomiting, or production of small amounts of thick, stringy stuff - often white

Panting

Pacing

Miserable, abject expression

Tummy sounds hollow when tapped, or looks visibly distended

Jeffie has stomach issues (through stress) where he will behave in exactly the way you describe Reggie behaving: he'll eat normally, then a while later will begin to gulp (a sign of stomach discomfort) and maybe snort as he does so. He'll (usually) run to the door and ask to be let out where he will either immediately vomit, or begin to eat grass as if he's starving. Then he'll come back in and lay down, but later get up again and repeat the cycle until he's empty and feels better. These days I intervene and give him an Antepsin and prevent him eating too much grass.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I went out and got him some Gas-x. I was afraid to have a long wait at the ER without getting Simethicone in him first. While I was gone Jason says Reggie laid down on the couch and was calm. He gulped a little at first and then was quiet until I came back. He got up when I came back, I gave him a couple of Gas-x and he laid down next to me on the couch. He gulped a few times, rested a bit, now he's resting with his head on my leg. His tummy gave a pretty good burble a couple of minutes ago.

The past couple of days he HAS had an extra rumbly tummy. I chalked it up to hunger; it always subsided after he ate. Now I wonder if he has a bug or something.

He's back to lying with his head on my chest, one of his usual positions. Guess this is a good sign and let sleeping (well, resting) dogs lie?

What did Reggie have for dinner - usual thing, or anything new? Could he have got hold of anything odd?

He had his usual kibble, with water on it. And I leash walk, so I'm pretty positive he didn't have anything he shouldn't.

Edited by Tracey

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Reggie just let out a pretty nice belch, let out a sigh and went back to nappyland. Gonna be a long night for me but at least he seems comfortable now.

Sounds like he's doing. Hopefully he wakes up happy this morning.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

How is he doing?

Currently lying against me on the couch. He seems normal. I, however, am quite tired.

Guest zombrie

Sounds exactly what Doolin does...he's had this problem ever since we adopted him. Vets still haven't been able to diagnose it, but they are calling it acid reflux. Giving pepcid and a spoonful of manuka honey will usually help stop the episodes.

Glad he's feeling better this morning!

Edited by zombrie

Spoke too soon. He's up again and gulping. Lying on a dog bed. When he puts his head down the gulping stops.

I think that it is not possible for a dog to throw up productively while suffering bloat, but you should definitely talk to a vet if he doesn't settle quickly.

It depends on what you mean by "bloat." In gastric dilatation withOUT volvulus -- that is, swelling of the stomach without it flipping over -- it's quite possible for a dog to vomit.

Even in volvulus -- stomach has flipped over, sealing off both ends -- the dog may have a significant amount of food in the esophagus and can "vomit" that up.

Dogs can also vomit when there is a blockage of some other type in the gastrointestinal system.

So, yeah, any repeated vomiting or attempts to vomit and any severe gastrointestinal discomfort or swelling warrants an e-vet visit.

Remember that in a deep-chested, long-bodied dog like a sighthound, abdominal swelling may present as a subtle expansion of the ribcage rather than a swelling in the tuck area.

Sounds like he may have something caught in his throat?

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Another big belch. Otherwise, just sitting there calmly licking the bed. Nothing unusual about that. He licks EVERYTHING, ALL THE TIME.

And another big belch. Yay!

Followed me to the bathroom and back, wagging his tail. Now lying on the couch again. Hopefully this will continue to be a very dull play by play.

Tracy, glad things are better. As I always lovingly told the dogs when I left for work each morning, "Have a boring day."

It depends on what you mean by "bloat." In gastric dilatation withOUT volvulus -- that is, swelling of the stomach without it flipping over -- it's quite possible for a dog to vomit.

Even in volvulus -- stomach has flipped over, sealing off both ends -- the dog may have a significant amount of food in the esophagus and can "vomit" that up.

Dogs can also vomit when there is a blockage of some other type in the gastrointestinal system.

So, yeah, any repeated vomiting or attempts to vomit and any severe gastrointestinal discomfort or swelling warrants an e-vet visit.

Remember that in a deep-chested, long-bodied dog like a sighthound, abdominal swelling may present as a subtle expansion of the ribcage rather than a swelling in the tuck area.

:nod Please, everyone, pay heed to what Batmom has written. Though nonproductive attempts to vomit are a huge red flag, depending on the circumstances a dog may vomit or regurgitate even when bloating. Remember that what most think of as bloat is really bloat & torsion combined aka GDV or gastric dilatation & volvulus. Bloat, gastric dilatation, is a serious condition on its own warranting immediate action. The fact that it can quickly lead to torsion means an e-vet visit is not overacting. It's the sort of thing where you pray you come away from it saying, "Well, that was a waste of money." :)

Tracy, glad things are better. As I always lovingly told the dogs when I left for work each morning, "Have a boring day."

:nod Please, everyone, pay heed to what Batmom has written. Though nonproductive attempts to vomit are a huge red flag, depending on the circumstances a dog may vomit or regurgitate even when bloating. Remember that what most think of as bloat is really bloat & torsion combined aka GDV or gastric dilatation & volvulus. Bloat, gastric dilatation, is a serious condition on its own warranting immediate action. The fact that it can quickly lead to torsion means an e-vet visit is not overacting. It's the sort of thing where you pray you come away from it saying, "Well, that was a waste of money." :)

Good advice. I did not realize until I started reading up tonight that a dog could bloat without the torsion. I thought it was all one in the same.

Anyway....he's sleeping quietly. If I can make it to 6 a.m. without incident (17 minutes from now), we're gonna head upstairs so I can keep an eye on him while I attempt some shuteye of my own.

Ok, we're gonna take this party upstairs. Until we return, please consider no news good news.

To pipe in with some experience related to how your pup is acting, Kasey would often lick and swallow repeatedly, almost like something was caught in his throat. It would subside, then happen again. The vet actually determined he had acid reflux and that his osophagus was quite inflamed. I give him Pepcid when I notice him having trouble, and I've fed him Slippery Elm for a long period of time - both treatments had effective results. Might wanna give that a go?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Yes, I had a dog vomit and have exactly what Batmom described - gastric dilatation without the stomach flipping over. He was at the e-vet overnight and then monitored for another day, and I believe they also did some things to release the gas build up. It never ended up flipping, thankfully, but he was clearly uncomfortable and in the process of potentially having an issue.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Just popping in to say Reggie's zonked out. Looks like he's sleeping deeply and comfortably.

What do I do about food today? Chicken and rice? Nothing?

I'll check back again later. For now, back to sleep.

I'd go with something easy to digest, chicken and rice or hamburger and rice. Maybe for a couple of meals to see if his tummy is back to normal.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Add 10mg Pepcid (generic is famotidine) given 30 minutes before dinner.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Add 10mg Pepcid (generic is famotidine) given 30 minutes before dinner.

Forever or just for a while?

Update as of now is Reggie seems fine, 100% back to normal. Don't know what the hell happened but it sure did scare the crap out of me. Thanks everyone for the support and advice!

Until you're sure he's not having stomach trouble. Then, just keep it on hand, and break it out any time he starts with the stomach-gurgling. I'd give it at least once a day for a couple of days. When he's having stomach trouble, I'd give it twice a day (before breakfast, before supper).

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)