Rabbit Eating

So I let the dogs out this morning and went to get my old man Cody who I have to walk around the house to hear a crying noise which I figure out later is a rabbit that has been snagged in the yard. Dylan is probably who got it and my little chi mix Lincoln appears to be chewing on it. I woke up with an upset stomach so this is not good timing at all. But regardless, Dylan was coughing and hacking like some of it was stuck in his throat. He seems to have settled down now but not sure if I should feed him or if it will come back up.

My greyhound I lost a couple years ago killed several rabbits but never consumed so I am not sure what to do. And I will pay quite a bit if someone will come to my house and remove the dead/dying rabbit. :(

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

We've already removed one dying rabbit from INSIDE our house today - I just poted about that one on EEG- so sorry - I've met my quota on that count, and there's not enough money for me to want to do it again today.

I see it's been a few hours since you've posted. I hope everything's ok with Dylan. I've never had a dog have an issue after consuming game. He probably just tried to swallow too much at once and got something stuck in his throat for a bit. If he still seems to be having trouble - get him help - but I'm sure you've done that by now.

Otherwise - If he's going to vomit - he's going to vomit. Not much you can do about that. Feeding or not probably won't matter. He could even hack up rabbit chunks tomorrow. It happens sometimes. Your other dog that seems fine now might leave you a nasty pile - out of one end or the other - during the night too.

Sometimes wild game upsets the tummy. Some times not. I've never had a dog have an issue, but I know it happens. I wouldn't let the dogs sleep on your priceless Persian rug tonight, just in case.

Other than that - make sure they're both on worm meds. Give them a round of Pancur or the like if they're not. Not a big deal really.

I hope both your pups suffer no ill-effects.

Sympathy from this direction -- it's a routine occurance here. Eating huge chunks and hawking them back up to eat them yet again is a typical digestion method. :yuk I now routinely worm mine every three months, because of the almost certainty of tapeworms.

I can beat your upset stomach/rabbit carcass outside story -- last fall after eye surgery I had to spend a week lying on my stomach and keeping my head still. Friends popped in during the days but there's a dog door here so I didn't need anyone to spend the night. Or so I thought. I was awakened in the middle of the night to a horrible crunching sound -- I knew immediately what it was. I couldn't get up to deal with it, and I didn't want to call and wake someone else up. So I had to lie there for hours listening. In the morning, there wasn't even a tuft of hair left. Just a happy hound who was ready for his breakfast.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter