How Do You Keep Boxer Shorts On A Hound?

Jeff slipped on some ice a couple of days ago and has a small abrasion toward the back of one of his hips. I've been spraying it with DermiCare to prevent licking, but not having complete success. My worry is that what is now a very minor thing could be turned into a hot spot unless better protected.

People have posted about using boxer shorts in this situation so I am going to try that. My question is, even if I buy a small size, the waist will likely be too big. How do I keep them on? I am afraid a safety pin could come open (if I can find diaper pins, are they safe enough?). Maybe I could try to figure out something with velcro, but I'm not sure my old sewing machine will go through it.

What have others used successfully?

Thank you for your help!

Guest Wasserbuffel

Vet Wrap?

Other than that you might just muzzle him with a stool guard, that's a very easy deterrent for licking.

Guest undergreysspell

I just stitched the waist in a little smaller so the elastic was snug enough to stay put. Had the UPS man laughing at the vet's office about the "dog in the little blue shorts"!

Guest kkaiser104

I've never had this problem, but could you buy a pair of kids sport shorts with a drawstring waist and just draw them up tight?

On my old boy Phantom, we had a problem one summer with black flies biting him on the backs of his thighs and leaving big welts. It drove him insane, and we felt really bad for the poor guy. I picked him up a pair of little boys soccer shorts that had a draw string waist and cut a little hole for his tail in the back, and it worked great. They stayed put all day long, and he went back to being his happy-go-lucky self. Maybe something like that would work for your boy.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Thank you everyone who has posted so far - the boy's sport / soccer shorts with a drawsting sound terrific. I'm marooned right now waiting for someone to come and make change my water meter (part of a city-mandated program) but then I will go shopping :)

I don't use boxer shorts, I use men's drawstring pajama pants, they still have the vent that the tail can go through, but you can tighten the waist with the drawstring.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Guest GreytBengalMom

I gathered the excess fabric at the elastic, and put it in s pony tail holder. The tail of fabric was above Eddie's tail. It looked funny, but did the job. :)

Thanks everyone - awesome ideas. We went with drawstring pajama bottoms and Jeff is not amused, but they are taking his mind off his troubles. Left alone the abrasion, which is very superficial, is healing nicely.

Thank you again for the ideas - I was definitely not thinking very creatively, but this thread has shown there are so many options!

Sidebar: When I was shopping I saw boxers with PacMan type smiley faces. I was soooooooooooo tempted, but they were pricey!

I was going to suggest a few of the above - but I see it's...."COVERED"!!! LOL! One thing I agree with - putting a slightly annoying piece of clothing on a dog does seem to distract them from the slightly annoying wound that they could be messing with instead. If you could take a picture of Jeff in his new duds that would be really awesome.