Very Odd-Surprise Urinating

Guest MzBanks

Guest MzBanks

So now that the toe thing seems to have resolved itself, we've had another odd occurrance. 6 yo otherwise healthy male, having his usual 'crazy dog' playing time in the house, running around the living room, skating his bed across the floor, play bowing and in general being a goofball - this part is normal. He was quiet on his bed for a minute, and then started to get up and while stretched, urinated on his bed. From the look on his face, he was as surprised as I was, like he couldn't control it - I said "hey!" and he bolted for his crate because he knew that was just wrong. He had just been out for a twenty minute walk, and as usual peed about six times just marking. He shouldn't have had to go.

I'm concerned that this is the start of something neurological, I suspect I hear the sounds of early LP, but so far don't see much of anything else, except a little tremoring in the hind legs after he's been playing hard - that might be semi normal for a dog not in running shape. I'm not familiar with the lumbosacral stenosis, could this be one of the early symptoms? The only thing I can tell you about his hind end is that he absolutely loves the rubber grooming mitt there, and now I wonder if it just feels good or if it eases some other discomfort.

Any info helpful, thanks.

I think pretty much all dogs love the rubber grooming mitt over the back end so I wouldn't read too much into that.

If he's really unfit a little tremor after exercise isn't too weird, but peeing on his bed and seeming unaware is not normal for a six year old. First thing I'd do is collect a urine sample and take him into the vet with it and see if anything odd is showing up. He may have a UTI, which often seems to cause inappopriate urination.

LP at 6yrs? Meh ... I wouldn't suspect it. But with this type of weird behaviour plus the shaking back legs, if I lived in the US I might suspect a tick-borne disease.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest MzBanks

Oh, he was aware of stretching to do it as he was getting up, it was like he couldn't help it, and then was shocked that he did it. It was weird. He was very excited a few minutes prior, but he's been excited before playing without losing it. I've had four Borzoi, three have had LP, so hearing his breathing sounding a bit raspy at 7 (actually it's his birthday today, just turned 7, cupcakes tonight!) doesn't shock me. He's not running fit, due to his toes and it being dark all the time here, he hasn't played much, so the small vibration I'm seeing after exertion could easily be normal muscle fatigue, the way I feel when I over do it. I'm wondering if anyone who has dealt with the LS stenosis saw this as a first symptom.

Tick borne, entirely possible, they're well out of control, but usually the symptoms of that are much more acute -lethargy, pain, high fever, and he's shown none of that since tick season ended up here.

the exact same thing happened with Nube not too long after we got him, he was only 4. After a hard stuffie playtime in the bedroom, he literally stood up and just started peeing on the bed! Of course I screamed and took him outside. He never did it again and I have NO idea why he did it like that.

I hope yours is just the same, one time only thing.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I would get him checked for a urinary tract infection before you rush into assuming it's something more serious. I had a foster for 3 months that was house trained. A week before his adoption I brought the dogs out. When we came in the foster immediately peed. I was livid. He then peed inside again an hour later. I brought him to the very that day and it was a uti. I felt bad for being mad earlier. He was only 2 I think.

Also note that tick-borne diseases don't necessarily coincide with tick season. Symptoms of an underlying disease are more likely to show when the dog is stressed or ill, regardless of what the bugs are doing outside.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

watch and wait. if it occurs again have him checked. maybe relaxed bladder(yup, that happens to males as well as females), uti or ????? your vet should be able to figure this out. we went thru this w/ felix. he started to leak in his sleep....relaxed (sp) sphinter muscle, it toned up w/ a very short term dosage of des. a couple of people freaked out at the use of des, but it worked.