Runny Poo

Guest Brittsonny

Guest Brittsonny

Hi all! I just adopted my first male greyhound!! Yay. When I got him home he was infested with fleas. I gave him confortis. He was on pedigree somthing when I got him, and I switched him to a food called Fromm. He's had runny poo since I got him, fleas are gone, now I want to work on his belly. Any suggestions on a good feed easy on the stomach?? He eats well, but apparently it isn't agreeing with him. I've had him for about a week and a half now :)

Guest FreeholdHound

Congratulations!! And you'll get quite a few helpful responses here. Greys, food, and poo are hot topics. It will take a while to get it all sorted out. Took me months to get anything firmer than milkshakes (blech). Assuming he's been checked out for worms or any other problems adding rice, pasta oatmeal may help or probiotic/enzyme powder. Giving food changes time is important. It may take a while to get him adjusted. My garage resembled a dog food depot for a while afteri got my 1st Harry almost a year ago. It's worth it - they are truly such amazing creatures!! :)

Welcome! The important thing to remember is that whatever you are doing to remedy the issue, do only one thing at a time, or you will have no way of knowing what worked.

Most likely the change from a Pedigree type food to something as rich as Fromm's was a bit too much for the tummy to handle. In addition, diarrhea is also listed as a possible side effect of the Comfortis.

I would start him on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice or pasta (rice or pasta should be over cooked and sort of mushy) for at least a few days. It may also help to fast him for a meal or two before switching to the bland diet and let his tummy get empty. We usually do the bland diet as 4 small meals a day instead of the usual 2 times a day.

We have started using Evanger's canned chicken or canned chicken and rice instead of cooking chicken when we have to do a bland diet. It's just easier, but some people prefer to cook. Either is fine.

When you re-introduce kibble, do it gradually as a mix with the bland food. Small amounts each time and gradually work up to just kibble.

There is no one "good" kibble for greyhounds. You may need to try several before you find the one that works for your hound. After much trial and error, we feed Precise Foundation Chicken Meal and Rice. It works well for Rocket and is highly digestible.

There are other kibbles that will be suggested, everything from grain-free kibbles to Iams. There is nothing wrong with any of them if they work for your hound. Many people here swear by Iams in the green bag, and others think that Iams is a direct product of the Antichrist. It's all about what works for the hound.

A rule of thumb is never buy the 40 lb bag on the first try - you are guaranteed that they either won't eat it or it gives them the runs. :bgeorge All kibble switches should be gradual starting with about a 20/80 mix of new and old, gradually increasing from there.

Again - one change at a time so you know what works and what doesn't. At a minimum, give the change 3 or 4 days to work and a little break in between before adding something else.

You may also want to get Metronidazole (aka Flagyl) from the vet to help with the diarrhea since it sounds like it's been happening for a while now. I would also talk to your vet about de-worming given the flea issue.

Good luck, and post some pics of your boy when you get a chance.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

There are other kibbles that will be suggested, everything from grain-free kibbles to Iams. There is nothing wrong with any of them if they work for your hound. Many people here swear by Iams in the green bag, and others think that Iams is a direct product of the Antichrist. It's all about what works for the hound.

"..direct product of the antichrist" :rotfl :rotfl

Agree with the above posters that the switch from Pedigree to the much richer Fromms is what is likely the problem...and also that it'd be worth it to run him to the vet to possibly see about worming and maybe get some Flagyl. A "well baby check" is always a good idea any time you get a new dog. Buddy met our vets before he met his housemates Poodle and Barkley.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest FinnsMom

If he had fleas he has worms. Our guy had a few fleas (by no means an infestation) and he had both tapeworms and hookworms. So before you start changing or worrying about his food, I'd have his poop tested first. He may do just fine on the food you have once you get rid of any worms he might have.

Edited to add: Our guy had his last deworming pill on the way out the door from the kennel we got him from and that wasn't enough.

Edited by FinnsMom

Guest Celestrina
Welcome! The important thing to remember is that whatever you are doing to remedy the issue, do only one thing at a time, or you will have no way of knowing what worked.

Good luck, and post some pics of your boy when you get a chance.

That includes treats. Avoid them until you find a kibble that works. And people can get quite nasty if pics aren't posted. It is even in the rules.

Guest Brittsonny

Just left the vet today! Worms are gone. They were from the fleas! He also has given him an antibiotic for the tummy. The vet checked the poo and found everything is all good now. He wanted me to stay on the same food until I get him through the antibiotics! You've all been great! This is super helpful! If I knew how to add a pic, I would. Lol. How do I do that?

Greyhound Gang has lots of information to help.

Free Greyhound Guide - click here. It's also available as a booklet, and as a Kindle ebook.

For info and links about nutrition - click here. Greyhound Gang/LEARN/Medical/Food

For info and links about diarrhea - click here

Also if you live near Gettysburg, PA, Greyhounds In Gettysburg are featuring speakers dealing with nutrition on Friday. Greyhound Gang will be there speaking on Friday and Saturday.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest 2greys2cats
Hi all! I just adopted my first male greyhound!! Yay. When I got him home he was infested with fleas. I gave him confortis. He was on pedigree somthing when I got him, and I switched him to a food called Fromm. He's had runny poo since I got him, fleas are gone, now I want to work on his belly. Any suggestions on a good feed easy on the stomach?? He eats well, but apparently it isn't agreeing with him. I've had him for about a week and a half now :)

Try a limited ingredient diet. We "fought" for a year and a half with foods, and really all that worked was Natural Balance. Congrats on your new baby!