Part Time Aggression

Guest lyndajgil

Guest lyndajgil

We just adopted a beautiful black Greyhound in Oct. He's 2.5 years old. His history shows he may have never raced because there is no documentation on him. Well, Dane is wonderful except for a little part time aggression. When we walk him, he just loves to say hello to anybody and everybody he meets. This even includes children! Also, he welcomes anybody into our home! He's playful and very energetic.

As of a few weeks he seems to be getting somewhat aggressive and it's only to our own family. For example, when he goes outside in the snow we like to wipe his paws and we gently do but the other day when my husband tried he almost bit him. I have resolved to not wiping anymore and just leaving a towel on the floor, Also of course if my 16 year old daughter gets too close to him while he's on the couch he does let out a warning growl. Then tonight, I was doing some training with him involving treats. Well he didn't want to do what I was training him to do (stay) and he almost snapped at me.

He lets us put on and take off his jackets. Just when he gets "bratty" it can turn dangerous. I'm not familiar with his past so I'm guessing maybe he was abused a little.

But again, for the most part, he is sweet and loving and loves people. And is a fast learner!! The first 3 weeks he had him he learned "paw", "this one". and kiss! :)

He's testing his boundaries, but also needs routine and training.

1. No furniture privileges when growling occurs. He needs to learn the OFF! command.

2. Routine, Routine, Routine. Paws get wiped here after every walk. Rocket automatically stops on the designated rug and waits to have his paws wiped.

3. Clicker training will help. Also search for NLIF training (Nothing in Life is Free).

4. Also as a precaution - he may have a minor space issue or sleep startle since he growls when you get near - no one should go near him or touch him or his bed when he is on it. Even if he looks awake - he may not be. We've had 2 bites as a result of thinking Rocket was awake because his eyes were open.

There are others on here who can give you better info on the actual training than I can - we lucked out and other than the sleep startle, have a hound who cooperates and seems to pickup on commands after one or two times - he is eager to learn.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Don't assume he was abused. He's demonstrating a very normal behavior for the situations you described.

Some dogs just do not like having their feet handled. Very common. Especially if your husband was leaning over him and grabbing for his feet, it's likely he felt threatened and had a freak-out. This can be remedied by desensitization training- gradually work up to touching his feet so much that he learns it's no big deal. Start with a handful of treats. When he's lying down, touch a toe, then give him a treat. Let him see everything you're doing. Do this a couple times a day and work up to handling his feet while standing up, then wiping with a towel. Take it slow, and soon he'll start to associate good things with having his feet touched.

As for the couch incident, his growling sounds like resource guarding. He is starting to think that the couch is "his space" and he doesn't want anybody else in it. For a grey that is guarding furniture, it's necessary that restrict his privileges to that area first. If you're the type of person who likes having your dog on the bed/couch with you, then you will need to work on training him to understand that the space is yours. My dogs are allowed on the furniture, but it's by invitation only. They know the commands "off" and "on your bed" and will quickly comply when I ask them to leave. If during the training, your guy exhibits any snarky behavior, immediately remove him from the furniture.

You are lucky that he is giving you a warning by growling. I wouldn't characterize this behavior as aggression, but would definitely suggest you work on some training. Otherwise, he's going to learn that he gets what he wants when he growls, and will start growling as a default response. Good luck.

All of the above, plus -

I'd be careful about how you're positioned when you wipe his feet. If your husband was bending over him, a lot of hounds dislike that. It comes across as aggressive or intimidating. I'd also check him over for signs of pain - it's possible he has an old injury and the way your husband handled him hurt.

I wouldn't let him approach people, especially children, until you work through his issues. Even if he's only been snappy with your family so far, it's not a risk I would take.

I don't think you should assume he's been abused. What you're working through are normal issues, and while some greyhounds are abused, most aren't.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Great advice above. One further thing; The muzzle is your friend. He is used to it so use it. That way you can handle him without worrying that he will snap at you. Training, training, training. You can do it!

Put a muzzle on him when he goes outside, if he snarls and tries to bite he can't connect and you can correct his behavior. If he doesn't growl or snap, remove his muzzle and treat and praise him.

As for the sofa, if he growls put his muzzle on and make him get off the sofa.

He's getting more comfortable now and just letting you know he's not happy with what you are trying to do. Treating for good behavior and praise will work wonders because these guys want to please.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Sofa and feet are common things.

I would teach him "off" re the sofa, and work on handling his feet one per day with muzzle and treats you can shove through the holes :) .

Not sure what was going on when you asked him to stay (where you were, where he was, etc.)?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

If he were truly aggressive he would have bit someone by now he is just giving warning that he isn't happy with what is going on, dogs can't speak to tell you no or go away so they growl.

You have to remember he is new to your house and family and there are many new thing going on and he may be unsure. It take many greyhounds a while to settle in. he is also a young dog and is more likely to test boundaries, just like kids do. This can be very normal dog behaviors as many people mentioned above he just has to learn what is acceptable and what is not.

if you are unsure about reaching at him, keep a 4' leash attached to him so he is easy to move, also use your mom voice when telling him no dogs go by tone not exact words.

Out of curiosity do you know what his registered name is? if not can you read both his ear tattoos? I may be able to find out more about him if he raced or not.

Edited by Lovey_Hounds

Guest lyndajgil

His Registered name is WK Dare Me. Left ear....53789 Right Ear...60D. Owner/Breeder ...Whites Kennel, Inc. I would love to know his history if you can find it!!

Looks like he raced briefly at Tri State in West Virginia (I believe it's now called Mardi Gras) - you can watch some of them here:

TrackInfo

Here's his pedigree information and some (incomplete) racing data:

Greyhound Data

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I watched the videos! I'm trying to find his pedigree info by using his tattoos and name but I just can't d

find it.

I linked to it in my post - Greyhound Data

I did click on that and it did bring me to the page to enter his info. When I do, it keeps telling me they can't find it.

Weird - when I click on it, it takes me directly to his page. I didn't have any trouble finding his info, though - it came up as soon as I typed his name in.

Hmm, I clicked on Valerie's Greyhound Data link and it went straight to the page with his info.... interesting!

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

Looks like he raced briefly at Tri State in West Virginia (I believe it's now called Mardi Gras) - you can watch some of them here:

TrackInfo

Here's his pedigree information and some (incomplete) racing data:

Greyhound Data

Oh, neat. Henry came from Tri-State too. Low stakes track, not too many great racers. Lots of young drop-outs.

Guest grey_dreams
I did click on that and it did bring me to the page to enter his info. When I do, it keeps telling me they can't find it.

That may be because you are not a registered user, so it just defaults to the home page. Just register on Greyhound Data (it's free) and then you can see your boy's page.

I agree with what has been said above. He is testing his boundaries and will continue in like manner until you put your foot down and lay down the law. Use the muzzle. Do his feet or anything else you want to do. I kind of chuckled when I read about how smart he is as it has been my experience that it tends to be the really intelligent ones who try this. And look he was right-you stopped cleaning his feet. As soon as you muzzle him and take control and quit letting him run things he'll quit trying to push you around. He is clearly very intelligent and he'll figure out things have changed right quick. You quite lucky to have such a smart fellow!

I agree with what has been said above. He is testing his boundaries and will continue in like manner until you put your foot down and lay down the law. Use the muzzle. Do his feet or anything else you want to do.

I agree with this regarding the furniture situation. However, a dog who has an aversion to having their feet touched isn't necessarily testing boundaries. He could genuinely be fearful and not accustomed to anyone else touching his feet. IMHO, the best was to handle this is desensitization training. If you just start grabbing feet and the dog is upset, you're asking to get bit.

a dog who has an aversion to having their feet touched isn't necessarily testing boundaries. He could genuinely be fearful and not accustomed to anyone else touching his feet. IMHO, the best was to handle this is desensitization training. If you just start grabbing feet and the dog is upset, you're asking to get bit.

Agreed. And even if you use a muzzle so that he can't bite you, forcing him to have his feet wiped may further stress him and damage his trust in you. I'd take the slower route and go with using treats and desensitization.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg