Do I Still Need Fortiflora?

Guest Clawsandpaws

Guest Clawsandpaws

I forgot to ask my vet about it when I brought my cat in yesterday, so I thought I would ask GT:

(Sir Dudley has his yearly on Friday so I'm still going to consult with the vet) Sir Dudley had quite a few months, when we adopted him, where his poo has been of a less than desirable consistency. Spent a lot of time and money at the vets, and what worked was adding fortiflora to his diet. His poop has never been perfect, but definitely improved, tried several different foods over the past 11 months or so, and finally switched to IAMS greenbag (thank you to everyone that recommended it) This week, I decided not to add the forti flora to see how it went, and it's still bouncy! I was thinking about keeping it on hand if I ever notice tummy trouble (try it instead of going straight to metronidizale)

Would you still continue to add it?

Are the benefits that much better than some plain yogurt?

Sir Dudley appreciates your replies!

C9A6D5EC-735E-4714-B0BE-9CC72FB1A5A6-321

Guest Clawsandpaws
I think you'll be fine without it. Iams already contains prebiotics and probiotics.

Welcome to the dark (green) side, BTW :)

Haha, thank you :) It is also firmer on the green side. LOL. That's what I figured after reading up on the ingredients. I just want to keep him healthy and happy for as long as possible! Btw, I use a lot of the advice you posted on training, that is his sit and wait picture!

Guest Clawsandpaws
Adorable pic! No advice to offer, really...we still give probiotics to James even though we mix in green bag. It's kind of like a security blanket.

That's what I was thinking, but realistically, I don't really want to keep paying for it, haha. I guess I'll talk to the vet about it since I'm bringing in a stool sample....

There is no reason to continue.

Most dogs do just fine without ever getting them. You really do need a probiotic when your dog is on antibiotics, but a normal healthy dog should not require them on a daily basis.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Clawsandpaws
There is no reason to continue.

Most dogs do just fine without ever getting them. You really do need a probiotic when your dog is on antibiotics, but a normal healthy dog should not require them on a daily basis.

Thanks, he was on them for a long time because he never had "normal" poop without them. He just had his yearly exam as well, and the vet basically told me the same thing. It's nice to save money and know there is nothing wrong with his GI tract!

I forgot to ask my vet about it when I brought my cat in yesterday, so I thought I would ask GT:

(Sir Dudley has his yearly on Friday so I'm still going to consult with the vet) Sir Dudley had quite a few months, when we adopted him, where his poo has been of a less than desirable consistency. Spent a lot of time and money at the vets, and what worked was adding fortiflora to his diet. His poop has never been perfect, but definitely improved, tried several different foods over the past 11 months or so, and finally switched to IAMS greenbag (thank you to everyone that recommended it) This week, I decided not to add the forti flora to see how it went, and it's still bouncy! I was thinking about keeping it on hand if I ever notice tummy trouble (try it instead of going straight to metronidizale)

Would you still continue to add it?

Are the benefits that much better than some plain yogurt?

Sir Dudley appreciates your replies!

[img=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/Dongerie/C9A6D5EC-735E-4714-B0BE-9CC72FB1A5A6-3210-000007EBAF6A18A7.jpg]

What a pretty sit!!!