Constipation

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest Downtownhoundz

First of all, Bunny does get canned pumpkin and milk along with three squirts of salmon oil. He is so gosh darn picky with his food that it's hard to find something that he likes.He's starting to get backed up frequently and yesterday was awful! He tried and tried and whined all day to poop but only passed a few little poops. I gave him stool softener and he leaked all night, which was no fun cause he sleeps with me and I couldn't go to sleep for cleaning his behind. He finally went this morning , but I am at a loss as to why he gets constipated and what I can feed this dog! Forget about exercise, he spots someone a mile away and will pull to go back home.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

What is he eating? Has he always had this problem?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Downtownhoundz
What is he eating? Has he always had this problem?

Off an on he gets like this, he's eating Iams in the Green bag...he hates it! He;s almost out so I'll have to find something else.

His brother, Benjamin Thomas had a genetic defect in that he had two surgeries to correct bowel movement but had no muscle tone. That immediately flashes through my mind with Bunny, I can't lose him, he's my velcro boy.

Guest Downtownhoundz
Wow, quite the opposite problem from what we usually see on F&D! :)

Have you ruled out anything medical-related (tumor, enlarged prostate, rectal abscess, anal glands, back/tail problems)?

Nothing going on there...the vet recently "cleaned him out".

I'd usually say more fiber, but if you're already feeding green bag and giving pumpkin, I don't know what else you could do.

A friend of mine switched to raw because her grey had megacolon. I wonder if that could be a possibility? What does your vet say?

Did he have the problem when he first came home? What was he eating then?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Downtownhoundz
Did he have the problem when he first came home? What was he eating then?

No, I have noticed as he gets older...he'll be 8 on the 23rd of this month, he is having more and more trouble pooping. I'll ask my vet about megacolon....

I would cut back on the fibre. Beet pulp and pumpkin is quite a lot. What happens if you just feed the kibble with fish oil and no pumpkin? You may want to try that. If that doesn't work, I would personally try looking into some different food options.

Guest 2greys2cats
First of all, Bunny does get canned pumpkin and milk along with three squirts of salmon oil. He is so gosh darn picky with his food that it's hard to find something that he likes.He's starting to get backed up frequently and yesterday was awful! He tried and tried and whined all day to poop but only passed a few little poops. I gave him stool softener and he leaked all night, which was no fun cause he sleeps with me and I couldn't go to sleep for cleaning his behind. He finally went this morning , but I am at a loss as to why he gets constipated and what I can feed this dog! Forget about exercise, he spots someone a mile away and will pull to go back home.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Sometimes canned pumpkin can be too much fiber and can constipate. Have you tried stopping the pumpkin and milk?

Edited to add: does anyone know where I can buy dried beet pulp?

Edited by 2greys2cats

It would be worth talking to your vet and/or consulting with OSU. I'm wondering if a different fiber source (metamucil?) might keep his stool soft enough to pass, so that you get comfort without leakage.

My guys are raw fed, and Nixon sometimes gets a bit 'bunged up' due to the amount of bone.

I sprinkle a teaspoon of Metamucil on his breakfast.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Downtownhoundz
It would be worth talking to your vet and/or consulting with OSU. I'm wondering if a different fiber source (metamucil?) might keep his stool soft enough to pass, so that you get comfort without leakage.

Didn't think about consulting OSU, thanks for that idea...do you by any chance have an email addy for them?

The consultation service is here: https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/ . There's a fee now for non-members :( .

The consultation service is here: https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/ . There's a fee now for non-members :( .

If you have multiple greyhounds its worth it to pay for a membership. That is what I did when I needed to consult with them about Beanie's lymphoma. Really even if you have only one that is starting to have health concerns 2 consultations would pay for the membership.

Guest Downtownhoundz

I bought a small bag of Chef Michael chicken and added half a can of dog food along with salmon oil....he wolfed it down like nobody's business, so now the waiting game starts! I'll try the metamucil though!