Heat Intolerance

Desi's 4th Gotcha will be in March. Just mentioning this because I feel by this time, I know this boy pretty well.

He's 10.3 yo, last bloodwork/workup within the past 2 months...unremarkable.

My question: When does heat intolerance become worrisome? He raced at Daytona over 3 years.....226 races.

Don't ask me how. He was heat intolerant when I adopted him. Walking outside in anything over 70 degrees was

pitiful.....panting, plodding along like the devil was forcing him with a pitchfork. So I just cranked up the a/c in the

summer, and cranked down the heat in the winter (66). He has a beautiful coat that I can't put on him in anything

over 20, he acts like he's roasting. Fine....we have adapted.

It's been fairly cold & snowy here the past few weeks, then yesterday came that midwinter break....60 degrees.

You'd think it had hit 80. Back to the panting & plodding on walks, drinking water like there's no tomorrow....

he'd drink til he puked if I let him (and did, last night when my eagle eye was otherwise occupied).

Can this be normal? Might it just be the contrast.........20's one week, 60 the next? Or might this intolerance to

anything even vaguely hinting at "warm" be a symptom of something else? Just seems strange to me so here I

am....asking for the experts opinion. Thanks in advance.

Kathy & Desi

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Pop has always been like this...but he was diagnosed with Discoid Lupus too. Zelda is more heat tolerant, but she still acts like she is melting at 80 - 85...but give her -5 degrees with a jacket on and she thinks it's PLAYTIME! :rolleyes:

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Shane was like that too...until we discovered and treated his Babesia and Lyme. Then he was fine! Oh, and this tests were both what they call "low positives," but treating them turned his life around.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Fletcher did not have a problem with the heat when he was younger, but as he has gotten older, he has become more heat intolerant. Each year he gets a little worse (starts reacting at lower temps). Extensive blood work has ruled out anything to cause it, just seems to be an "old dog" thing. He does have arthritis which has also gotten worse as he gets older, but I don't see a connection. Right now, it is #%@*&^*$ freezing here, and he is fine :rolleyes: We stopped walking when it hit the low 70's last year, will see how he does this spring.

BTW, he will be 11 in March, has been an AZ dog his whole life.

Laryngeal Paralysis may be something to consider in SOME older Greyhounds. I've seen this in some Greyhounds (including one of my own) and heat intolerance is definitely a symptom. The most "classic" symptoms are a "hoarse" bark or harsher panting/breathing. Just something to keep in mind.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Laryngeal Paralysis may be something to consider in SOME older Greyhounds. I've seen this in some Greyhounds (including one of my own) and heat intolerance is definitely a symptom. The most "classic" symptoms are a "hoarse" bark or harsher panting/breathing. Just something to keep in mind.

L.P. is what came to my mind too. If you suspect L.P. after reading Feemandvm's link, please remember that careful management is very important. Heavy panting creates inflammation in the throat which makes it more difficult for the dog to breathe. If the dog can't get enough oxygen, dog begins to panic.

Two of our senior hounds (non-related) have this progressive condition. One senior was diagnosed with advanced L.P. at 9 y.o. (2.5 years ago), and is doing very well with management. (No running, no collar/s, harness preferred, walks only during cool conditions, remains calm, no stress, water softened kibble, etc.) Our other senior hound was diagnosed during a severe respiratory crisis (survived with medical care). Only the second senior has nerve damage in the rear legs. (Another condition sometimes seen in some (not all) L.P. patients.)

My older greys were fine when they were younger but as they've gotten older, my seniors have a hard time with the heat. It's the reason even in the winter, we keep the house at around 65 degrees.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee