Laser Therapy For Corns

Has anyone had their Greyhound's corns treated with laser therapy? If so, would you mind sharing your experience and if possible any contact information you have for the veterinarian that provided the treatment. I'd like to gather more information on this treatment option.

Thanks!

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Not sure what constitutes laser therapy. Some years back, my vet hulled Zema's corn for the umpteenth time and then just "kissed" the hulled surface with the surgical laser. No corns for 9 months! Then she got two teensy corns; we hulled those and she was corn free for the rest of her life (couple years).

I'm not sure how well he will remember -- I know he's had some other "corn dogs" that get hulled, but not sure he's done the laser thing again. Vet is Dr. Bernie Long at Hillcrest Animal Hospital, (815) 398-9313. As far as I know, he's the only vet there who does corns, and Zema was his first corn patient :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes to what Jey said. Removal with laser lasted so much longer. With Isaac the laser removal lasted over a year.

Vet that did Isaac's doesn't practice anymore. I've been begging my vet to get a laser :)

If you mean the non surgical laser, I'll ask my alternative vet as I know she uses it for other treatments.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I was assuming by "therapy" the OP means treatment with low-level laser therapy, which is a big modality in vet medicine right now for healing wounds and soft-tissue injuries -- my vet swears by it. (I know nothing about it for corns, though.)

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Thanks for the early replies... I'm interested in experiences with either surgical or medical laser so the more the merrier. : )

Also... if your Grey was treated... did they have to sedate for the treatment? I know often medical laser does not require sedation but I would assume the surgical laser would.

Thanks again!

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Zema (surgical laser) was sedated -- Dr. did the corn during her dental.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DeniseL

I have experience with both types of laser. About 6 months ago, Miami had a surgical removal and then touched up with the laser while he was sedated. It left gigantic craters in his pads which took almost a month to heal. He was limping badly and many were telling me that the laser surgery would possibly not work anyway. Plus, he has another pad with a corn that wasn't even touched (the vet wanted to give him a leg to stand on, literally) So I set off on a quest to figure out some options. I knew relativily quickly that I would NOT do the laser surgery again. Much too painful and Miami was still not walking after 2 weeks. Huge craters were just beginning to fill in but were very sensitive and painful. In desperation, I called a vet that I had used for a few years prior and who had opened up a vet rehabilitaion/ accupucture center here in Philadelphia. I really didn't know what to do and called her practically in tears lol. She often used the cold laser therapy for pain relief, etc in her practice. She did some research for me and asked around with some colleagues to see if anyone had tried cold (low level) laser on corns. I don't think she came up with too much, so we decided to try it on Miami's craters and the other corns. It did help close up the wounds quickly and finally got him walking again. I am not sure if I would say it really helped much with the other corns. She also called a local compounding pharmacy and asked him to put together something that could help with the corns. The pharmacist put together a mixture that eventually completely took care of the corns. He did a lot of research we tried to different formulas, but the end result got rid of the last of Miami's corns in a week. Thank god. I would be happy to give you the vets name that did the cold laser, she could tell you more specifically what we did and for how long. Or the pharamicist if you are interested in the gel...oh, and Miami was not sedated for the cold laser, he was standing actually, and each pad was done individually for a set amount of time while we supported him.

Please ignore the spelling errors, i typed quickly :)

Edited by DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

Ok here you go :)

The vet that did the cold laser (also a wonderful acupuncturist) : Dr. Christina Fuoco at WAG Whole Animal Gym (215) 839-9244

http://www.wag-philly.com/WAG.html

The Compounding Pharmacist that made "Jack's Gel" : Jack Korbutov at The Art of Medicine, (215) 238-9055

http://www.theartofmed.com/#!case-studies/caoz

and here is the case study he did on my baby:

http://media.wix.com/ugd//28e5e6_7e1654631c6b2b79a13159401f7d2d5e.pdf

Good luck! They are both awesome people and have been wondeful helping me with Miami. Dr Fuoco can give you more info on the cold laser. I probably would have continued with it, had I not found the gel.

Ok here you go :)

The vet that did the cold laser (also a wonderful acupuncturist) : Dr. Christina Fuoco at WAG Whole Animal Gym (215) 839-9244

http://www.wag-philly.com/WAG.html

The Compounding Pharmacist that made "Jack's Gel" : Jack Korbutov at The Art of Medicine, (215) 238-9055

http://www.theartofmed.com/#!case-studies/caoz

and here is the case study he did on my baby:

http://media.wix.com/ugd//28e5e6_7e1654631c6b2b79a13159401f7d2d5e.pdf

Good luck! They are both awesome people and have been wondeful helping me with Miami. Dr Fuoco can give you more info on the cold laser. I probably would have continued with it, had I not found the gel.

DeniseL I read the case study and i wanted to ask was the gel expensive? I have tried everything for Maddies corn (exceptexcept) laser and I am hulling it myself and she hates it. Thanks. Amy

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest DeniseL
DeniseL I read the case study and i wanted to ask was the gel expensive? I have tried everything for Maddies corn (exceptexcept) laser and I am hulling it myself and she hates it. Thanks. Amy

Jack can tell you the exact price...I think it is about $50, but you get a lot and I still haven't finished what he gave me. You do need a prescription from your vet. I think they can just fax it in to him...its def worth a try. Brought the corn to the surface so that I didn't really even need to hull, it just pulled out with tweezers. And it worked quickly, about a week, and didn't require a long process like the murrays. Are you on facebook? Check out the group 'greyhounds with corns' you can see some videos he posted about the products. Or give him a call, real nice guy...

I've asked my vet to send a prescription. Will post when I have the gel and in due course how things go with it. Rickie has 3 corns on the two weight bearing toes of his left front foot that return quickly after hulling.

We tried the Murray Avenue treatment and initially it seemed to help, one one toe but the corns came back, smaller at first, but eventually large again. On the other toe for some reason it changed the texture of the surrounding tissue in a way I didn't like so we stopped using it there.