Why Is She Having Accidents After Her Walk?

We have had our Bonnie for close to 3 weeks now. She came straight from the track, and we were pleasantly surprised with house-training, as she hadn't had an in-home accident since Christmas Day. But we're stumped as to why she would have accidents following her walk. Yesterday, I took her out for a 1/2 hr. She always pees 3 or 4 times and then we go back home. But Instead of going home, we went to Petsmart. As soon as we entered the store, she had her first accident, followed closely by the 2nd approx. 10 minutes later.

The same scenario happened today. I took her for a walk this morning prior to meeting a friend, and she did her usual 3-4 pees. We hopped in the car and went to my friend's, arriving at her building about 20 minutes later. Upon arrival, I walked her around the complex, not wanting a repeat from the day before, and she promptly peed twice. Thinking all would be well, we went up to her apartment, but lo and behold, 10 minutes after our arrival, she peed on my friend's carpet. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think this could be stress, related to her new life, or could she simply be marking or anxious about new territory? Or maybe we should have her checked for a UTI? Thanks for your input!

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Check for UTI.

Some girls do mark, but best rule out medical issues first.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I have a marker. We call her quick draw McGraw. In Petsmart, she gives no signal, just drop and pee! She also will mark at every single driveway we walk past on our walks (50-100). Since she is new in your home, I would definitely see a vet, but I would lean torwards marking personally.

Thanks everyone, I'll be calling the vet tomorrow to rule out a medical issue, but if I were to guess, I'm leaning towards marking, whether it be anxious or otherwise, as she is able to hold her urine from 9:30 pm to 5:30 am without difficulty.

On a walk, it seems as though she is not fully emptying her bladder all at once, as if she is trying to make it last another 3 squats, lol. Is this normal or just my girl's quirkiness?

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

I took Bonnie and a urine sample to the vet today. When he palpated her bladder, she yelped. He said that with the small amount of pressure exerted in examining her, it's likely she has an infection; either that or she's a big wimp. She's been prescribed an oral antibiotic and also gave a blood sample to either rule out or confirm the bacterial type. A baseline reading of her blood values was started for future comparisons should infection be ruled out. I should receive the results of the urinalysis tomorrow.

My Etsy Shop

Guest cwholsin
I took Bonnie and a urine sample to the vet today. When he palpated her bladder, she yelped. He said that with the small amount of pressure exerted in examining her, it's likely she has an infection; either that or she's a big wimp. She's been prescribed an oral antibiotic and also gave a blood sample to either rule out or confirm the bacterial type. A baseline reading of her blood values was started for future comparisons should infection be ruled out. I should receive the results of the urinalysis tomorrow.

They gave you antibiotics without confirming a UTI first? Is that normal?

They gave you antibiotics without confirming a UTI first? Is that normal?

I can understand why you'd question that; but it was explained to me that the drug is wide spectrum, knocking out the more common little buggers that are responsible for uti's. It's best to start battle with a bacterial infection asap.

I trust my vet. Been going to him for many years and I just happened to luck out, being a new grey owner, as he's described as being "greyhound savvy" in the Candian grey community and is the chief vet for one of our major greyhound adoption groups. :D

My Etsy Shop

I think your vet made a good call. If she yelped when he palpated her bladder, she's probably in pain. She could even have bladder stones, in which case ABTs should be started now instead of waiting to get the urinalysis and bloodwork back from the lab. I agree that ABTs are overrused though.