Cat's Bad Behavior With Grey

Guest johnwe

We had a cat first and then added a grey a few years ago. The cat has survived several grey fosters too.

Lately the cat has been lunging at the dog. The grey screams (he's a real screamer) so I am guessing the cat is using some claws. The cat swats at the dog when he walks by or enters a room. The dog will scream but that's it, he just walks away. I have squirt bottle and have squirted the cat once. But usually we are not nearby when this happens.

Last night the cat walked across the back of the couch where I was sitting next to the greyhound. He sat on the arm near the dog's head. I was keeping an eye on the cat. The cat reached out a paw to touch or swat at the dog's head. He did this slowly but I still said something and sort of shooed him away. It almost seems like the cat wants to play or get attention from the dog. The dog does not care and pretty much ignores the cat- but does display a look of annoyance with the cat and distrust. Wouldn't you?

What's the best way to correct the cat? Any ideas on why this just started?

Guest Clawsandpaws

If someone knows, please tell us. Haha, I also had a cat first and adopted my grey about 10 months ago. She is awful, but has always been so. I am sure others would suggest this, but since this is happening suddenly, a vet check is probably in order. Cats exhibit illness/problems very differently than dogs. My parents cat suddenly turned pyscho evil and had a thyroid panel done, I was too young to understand the lingo then, but basically they got her on meds and she went relatively back to normal.

I honestly do not know how one goes about correcting a cat, in my home, she corrects me! I put "kitty caps" on her nails to prevent her swats from actually hurting Dudley (she is not a biter, thank goodness) but he still is very wary of her.

Thanks. I should also add that the cat has, a few times, walked slowly up to the back of the dog while the dog is eating and rubbed against his hind legs. The cat does seem to be curious about the dog.

Guest lanielovesgreys

My cat is this way, too. She just loves to sucker-swat. The dogs are trained to not touch the cat, and it's almost like she knows that. I de-clawed her about 6 years ago, before I knew how cruel it was. But it works out in our house, as even a thin skinned greyhound can handle a padded swat, even when it's unexpected.

Guest Wasserbuffel

It might be that the cat recently discovered the joys of annoying the dog.

My Ron has had dogs around all his life, short and long-term visitors until Jayne came along. He isn't fond of dogs, but generally leaves them alone. He can, however, be an aggressive little bugger, and is especially prone to displaying aggression when he knows he'll get a reaction from the dog.

A friend and her lab lived with us for 8 months a few years back. Ron didn't slap him once, because the kind, old dog never did much but sleep on his pillow.

When Jayne came home Ron gave her a whack across the nose (he's de-clawed) for showing too much interest her first morning. After that she didn't attempt to make eye contact with him for at least a few months. Now they pretty much ignore each other. Ron gets slappy if she does zoomies and irritates him. Recently she's been trying to entice him to play, and he's begun reacting in an almost playful - yet still aggressive - way.

My in-laws' dog? Ron growls, hisses, chases, and smacks him at every opportunity, and the dog puts on a big show. Ron also eats the in-laws' dog's food and guards it from him.

So, in my cat's case, the more reactive the dog, the more he'll go for it.

Hmmm, can't wait to see the answers. My previous cat got so jealous that we were playing with Pop one day that she jumped up and hung from his neck (she had claws and he stood stock still in shock). The same cat would crawl onto Pop's bed with him while he growled as she knew he wouldn't do a darn thing (she was bit by dogs in her previous home). Now with Zelda, the cat went to sniff her when Zelda wasn't in the mood and Zelda snapped at her...needless to say, the cat never slept on Zelda's bed

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest Scouts_mom

My cat, Leo, made it very clear that no dogs were allowed in his (i.e. my) bedroom. He's been gone about 3 years and my current hounds didn't know him, but they were well taught by my previous hounds and do not go into my bedroom without a great deal of trepidation. Leo would be proud.

Guest 18tjettagrl

My cat (Kittah) swats and lunges at Victoria which intimidates her. Plus loves to get in her crate and she won't go near it if he's in there or he likes to hold her hostage sometimes by sitting right outside the crate door if she's in there and we have to shoo him away or out of the crate. He's never bitten Victoria or harmed her, but I think the cat wants to just show the dominance. My beagle/bassett (T.Church Peebody)was the dominate one over the cat before we got Victoria. Once Church passed I guess he made it a point he was next in line as king of the castle. Plus, we've come to realize that even though he's actually a good boy and thinks he's a dog. He's just a pure well...to put it in nice terms, he's a jerk. LOL.

Soft claws, squirt bottle, or anything else that's handy to throw. Just be careful with the soft claws. The first time I put them on Frizzle tried to gnaw her paw off. Not the claw, not the toe. .. Her paw. It was infected within 12 hours and amazed the ER vet! Lol there were telling me they would have to remove the claw cap until they saw it was no where near the wound! Crazy cat.

After the torture of antibiotics she hasn't tried to eat any more body parts. I do put the claw caps in then spray her with a waterless cat bath. It's much more of a priority to get herself dry, by that time she forgot I put on new caps.

The cats here don't go after the dogs, but they do go after each other. Usually the squirt bottle isn't nearby, so I chuck whatever pillow or tissue box is closeby at them.

Good luck!

------

Jessica

A greyhound "scream" doesn't mean that there's any damage to him. It could be surprise, fear, or discomfort more than actual pain (there have been stories on here of really damaged-but-silent greys which scream so you'd think they were dying when something spooks or makes them the slight bit uncomfortable). It could be a "help, come get me" like a little kid who is being teased and overreacts ("I'm not touching you!").

I have a cat that likes to slap Monty the greyhound when he gets too close to "her" people, and she stalks him with the intense glare that makes him roll his eyes and ease himself away with all manner of submissive indicators toward the cat. She just is possessive of her people, and likes to beat on Monty's head. (I think because she was really exceptionally nice to him after his first round of seizures and she wants to continually prove that she doesn't actually like him, and that she's a hard-hittin' kitten that he has to watch out for). Sometimes she walks up to him and sits by him and purrs like they're best buddies. I swear that when she goes and plunks herself down in the middle of his favorite bed when he's not there, she has a very smug look on her face when he veers off and comes to us and whines. I think the cat is on a power trip, just like my pushy little Fruitcake.

We mostly just try to run interference (easier when she's possessive of us) and prevent her from slapping him too much. I don't really know that punishment will really work for the cat, since you aren't there when he seems to do it. Can you try to give the dog some time without the pestering cat (put the cat in another area with door closed) when he gets too pushy and obnoxious, or when you're going to be away?

Guest PhillyPups

I do not have a cat. BUT I am wondering what the take would be if it was reversed and the dog terrorizing the cat?? Doesn't the greyhound deserve the same respect and peaceful co-existence that it is giving an "attack" cat?? I just do not understand the reasoning. :dunno

Guest Clawsandpaws
I do not have a cat. BUT I am wondering what the take would be if it was reversed and the dog terrorizing the cat?? Doesn't the greyhound deserve the same respect and peaceful co-existence that it is giving an "attack" cat?? I just do not understand the reasoning. :dunno
Have you ever owned a cat? I can understand what you mean, but I guess a difference is that it is much much much easier to train a dog not to attack the cat (exception for the greys who will eat them), whereas cats usually have an evil side, which is relatively un-trainable. Cats also have ninja skills that can make you think the cat is being all sweet and loving then WHAM you got thumped on the head. I honestly don't know, I feel bad for my grey, he is definitely not comfortable when the mean grey fluff ball comes around. I guess keeping them separated as much as you can is the best way.

Guest PhillyPups

Yes I had cats, birds, dogs, and the occasional lizards. None were allowed to terrorize the others. I would not bring a cat into my home now - first of all my greys are all highprey. But just as I would not allow one of my greys terrorize another, I would not let another animal in the house do it either. I am curious as to why if you state you had the "awful and always been so" grey cat first, would anyone want to subject a gentle greyhound to that. Just like our greyhounds, cats lives are not forever, and waiting for the comfort of another animal seems to make senseto me. :dunno

Guest mowreyAZ

This is really interesting because my DH and I had two greyhounds before we added catherine, our Siamese. Cat had been the only animal allowed in her previous home and came fully declawed. Neither one of our greyhounds has a strong prey drive and after a while all three could be found napping on the bed. Couple of months later I brought home a litter of 1 1/2 week old kittens left behind a store. We placed two in homes and kept 2. the kittens think they are greyhounds and have been raised by the hounds. onyx Mae and Cyrus James know their own names come when called and even share the same toys as the greyhounds. It may all depend on personalies dof each animal or prey drive or power. amber our most established grey definitely holds the alpha spot and let's everyone know that in the house.

Edited by mowreyAZ

Guest Clawsandpaws

Edited because sometimes I type regretful things and wish I had just let a comment go.

The cat is being a cat.

Edited by Clawsandpaws

Only a person not familiar with cats would characterize this as an attack. Sounds like mischief to me. Doesn't make it less annoying--but I have a cat who thinks absolutely nothing of being growled at, snapped at, etc. The squirt bottle? He HATES that.

Unfortunately, most cats are smart enough to know they can get away with whatever when you're not there or the bottle isn't in your hand, so if he's using his claws, you need to get them CUT as short as possible, and separate them when you're not around.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Hmmm... this is an interesting thread. I posted about this awhile back, but I did manage to train my Siamese kitten and 16-month-old greyhound Truman to tolerate each other through positive reinforcement. The problem was that Truman enjoyed chasing the cat, and Meezer was brand new and scared to death. I started by putting the cat on my bed with a plate of Fancy Feast, and had the dog next to him in a down-stay position. I gave Truman treats for being calm and giving me eye contact. Did this once a day (about five minutes) for a week straight. Gradually, the Meezer started coming out of his hidey-hole more often, and I used those opportunities to give them both lots of lovins and treats. It was a process, but the trick is get them BOTH to associate good things with each other. Now they are best buddies, and I have the opposite problem (they constantly play with each other, and I worry because the cat is 5 pounds compared with Truman who is 80).

Being that your cat was there first (and probably feels a little threatened by the sheer size and presence of your greyhound) you should make all attempts to create a positive experience for him. I find that cats respond better to positive training, so I probably wouldn't use a spray bottle. It could make the situation worse, causing the cat to really despise the dog. Whenever they are both near you, pet the cat and give him special food (canned food, tuna, greenies, whatever). If the dog walks out of the room, then take away the food and stop petting. Make the presence of the dog enjoyable. After doing this for a few weeks, you can being to phase the food out. I've found that although cat training is different, it's not impossible.

It sounds like your dog is pretty timid (mine wasn't), but you should also do some training with the dog to make his experience better. Toss him some high value treats as long as he's being calm and listening to you. Right now, he's frightened of the cat, so you want to use counter-conditioning (associating a positive experience with the cat) and desensitization (doing it enough that the fear wanes and he sees interactions with the cat as no big deal). If it's too much, and he starts yelping or "screaming," allow him to retreat and try again when he calms down.

If you're consistent and diligent with the training, you should see some progress. Hope this helps!

Edited by a_daerr

Great advice from a_daerr if the cat is 'attacking' the hound as a defensive reaction out of fear. However, from the initial post, I'm not sure if that is the case. It sounds more like the cat is trying to play or just being mischievous. If the cat isn't afraid of the dog, simply using classical conditioning to make the presence of the dog enjoyable probably isn't going to make a huge difference. But you could use a variation of this to teach the cat an alternate behavior - like redirecting the cat to you to play a different game, like a wand toy, whenever the cat is near the dog. Hopefully you can find something the cat finds more fun than getting a reaction out of the dog.

While I am typically a proponent of using only positive reinforcement and avoiding punishment as much as possible, 'play aggression' in cats is one situation where I'd consider using punishment like a spray bottle. But this only works if the cat doesn't like being sprayed, I've met a few cats that actually enjoy it. :)

I also agree with GeorgeofNE about keeping them separated when you can't supervise to avoid any serious consequences. You can't protect your greyhound from being pestered if you aren't there, and one day, your boy may be pushed beyond his tolerance and retaliate.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

But you could use a variation of this to teach the cat an alternate behavior - like redirecting the cat to you to play a different game, like a wand toy, whenever the cat is near the dog. Hopefully you can find something the cat finds more fun than getting a reaction out of the dog.

Ooh, I like this idea too.

Guest joviemom

My cat is very naughty and very curious. Its part of his breed (ragdoll), but I have done a few things to stop him from messing with jovie.

He LOVES smelling her feet and slapping her feet when she is sleeping. Now whenever he goes near her while she is sleeping I redirect him (mind you he comes when I call him, not sure if this will work for you). My cat also cant help but to run at Jovie and he honestly wants to play with her. Again, with this I redirect.

The most challenging thing he does (which I am still working on) is he loves more than anything to chase her up the stairs. I have jingle balls all over my house so if she is going up the stairs I shake them to get his attention to make him come to me.

Cats can be trained but its takes a long long time and they have to want to be trained. Thats why I always use toys and food lol. They also dont understand NO or any negative feedback, I find the best way to get the behavior you want is to help create it before it turns negative (if that makes sense).

Its sounds to me like your cat is just testing the waters and showing dominance, and overall wanting to play. I would try directing the cats attention to you when the grey is around. So if the grey is entering the room, go pick up the cat and love on him. Or find a toy he loves and swing it around then the dog comes in the room.

As for the lunging, its sounds like he is trying to hunt and play! lol Best thing you can do for this is get a long string toy with a feather and play with him until he pants. I find it works best to make them run up and down stairs, or up and down their cat tower, OR depending on what kind of couches you have make him jump up and down the couch. He will no longer want to play with your pup, he will be too tired! I use the all the time and it works like a charm :)

Guest SpicyMom

We have the opposite problem. One cat is OBSESSED with the dogs ears. He nuzzles, licks, and generally makes himself a nuisance until the dog snaps. And he doesn't learn. When he was still a kitten, he did this to one of the dogs while she was sleeping. Needless to say a trip to the ER was the result as the dog snapped in her sleep and slit the cat open from neck to tail, (luckily just the skin but it was bad). Same cat still bothers the dogs. But, at least not while they are sleeping....

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I got home from work to en empty house. I let the dog out and the cat in. After the dog came in he walked over to the other half of the house that was still dark. I guess the cat followed because I heard a squeal of death from the hound. (He's a real scream/crybaby over almost anything, in a fun way ;) ) So I walked over and chased the cat away so the hound could have some peace.

Now the cat has jumped up on the bed and cat and greyhound are rump to rump aiming to get to sleep. This is a first. The dog looked somewhat annoyed but sort of rolled over and went to sleep.

Maybe this is an odd start to a closer friendship?

Maybe this is an odd start to a closer friendship?

We have a Siamese kitten (five months old) that is obsessed with the dogs. He wants to be near them at all times. He sleeps on their beds when one of them is at class or the vet's. He follows them around the house. At first, the dogs were pretty sketchy about it. But now they've pretty much resigned to the fact that the meezer isn't going anywhere. If you can't beat em, join em. :)

I'm pretty sure the cat swiped him this morning :(

Lots of screaming

Tonight I think I see what may be a small wound on his belly. Poor sweet dog wouldn't hurt a flea... well maybe a flea.

Thanks for suggestions. Going to try some positive reinforcement with the cat.

Next might be teaching the dog to growl :)

And I forgot to add some more facts. The cat has been living with greyhounds for more than 3 years and has not done this other than a little with new dogs....fosters.

I'm not keen on having animals that don't respect or at least keep away from eachother....so I echo what some other posters have mentioned.

The cat is likeley a little stir crazy due to winter setting in and he does not spend as much time outside.