Tissue Paper Skin

Guest cepwin

Does anyone else have this issue? Edie seems to have skin of tissue paper. I have had to take her to the vet for cuts that turned into open wounds....today it was her tail, a 1/2 inch gash that looked like the skin had split apart (and they discovered there was a open sore between two of her toes. as well.) It's not necessarily allergy because she does not lick her tail and she's had cuts on other places she doesn't bother even if her allergies are flaring up (one even needed stitches.)

Many of them have skin like this, but oddly, not all! My first greyhound got cuts and scrapes, but they stayed cuts and scrapes. My vet was always telling me to be careful because greyhound skin could just 'split open' but his never did. He ran into a barbed wire fence one time and got nothing worse than a deep one-inch scratch. Sid is similar. But Jeffie .. only got to look at that boy and his skin just parts company!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Thank you all for your responses and get well wishes for Edie...guess Edie's just a normal greyhound :) At least we found an e-collar that so far is working (she can eat with it and hasn't bothered her foot.) Thanks again!

Edited by cepwin

Welcome to greyhound parenting, unfortunately. If your dog is very thin skinned you might want to purchase a bite not collar--they're sort of like a stiff turtleneck that many sighthounds tolerate better than the e-collars.

http://www.bitenot.com/

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

The paper thin skin is why so many Greyhounds have scars (despite what the anti racing folks would like you to believe about their horrific treatment). It's why they were muzzles in the turnout pens. Even a perfectly normal dog play session can result in stitches if you're a Greyhound.

My dog tripped and fell on some stairs once, and his skin split open in three places! A "regular" dog would not have had any injury at all.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thanks for the responses. It turns out I found an e-collar that seems to be working very well...it's very flexible so it allows her to eat and drink but it's long enough that she can't get to her foot or tail. The brand is Butler-Schein.