How Do I Put This...solid Poo In The Am, Mushy In The Pm?

Guest jonesyvoor

Guest jonesyvoor

My hound seems to always take nice solid poos in the morning after breakfast but they seem to get progressively mushier by the 2nd and 3rd ones of the day. This will happen even if I don't give her any other treats and give her the same food for dinner. Is this normal?

Guest blueberri

I hope so... My hound does this too. He progresses to liquid... Makes pickup on walks a nightmare. It is however progress for ours, he used to be liquid all the time, 6+ poops a day.

I've heard that activity contributes to pudding/liquid poop, that it increases peristalsis and results in more rapid output than usual.

I would love if ours had solid poop all the time.

Mine dog's like that too... After breakfast walks produce solid, pickupable poops... after dinner walks = mush. I always though it was because overnight his poops just had more time to "ripen" since on the rare occasion when he doesn't get to go for his after dinner walk until a few hours later than normal, his poop is a lot more solid.

It is normal for the first poop of the day to be firmer however if the food agrees with them subsequent poops shouldn't be turning to mush that is difficult to pick up. I've been leash walking Nadir for all his outings since he had toe surgery a week ago Tuesday. Every one of his poops from first to last are nicely formed and easily cleaned up.

Nube's poops were almost always nice and firm -- Larry, however, is like your pup. Starts off decent (not quite as firm as I'd like, but good) but after that go downhill.

in the same boat on walkies with Blueberri -- it's a challenge to pick up mush after 1st poop.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

It is normal for the first poop of the day to be firmer however if the food agrees with them subsequent poops shouldn't be turning to mush that is difficult to pick up. I've been leash walking Nadir for all his outings since he had toe surgery a week ago Tuesday. Every one of his poops from first to last are nicely formed and easily cleaned up.

Yep to this. The way it works is that the longer the poop remains in the bowel, the more water is re-absorbed and the firmer it gets, so the first of the day should always be more solid. However, they should not progress to become liquid by the end of the day. You may need to find a food which suits him better.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest WhiteWave

Joey's poops are firm except when we go hiking. It can go to straight diarrhea. I don't know if it is because he is so active or what. He has not stressed and loves riding in the car. Goes back to firm once we get home.

Ronon gets a little mushier with lots of exercise too, but not liquid like Joey's.

Yeah, totally normal. It's all about interval since the last poop or the amount of time the food has been in the pipeline. If exercise makes the poop mushier, it's just because it's stimulating them to go more/sooner than they would have otherwise.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Yep to this. The way it works is that the longer the poop remains in the bowel, the more water is re-absorbed and the firmer it gets, so the first of the day should always be more solid. However, they should not progress to become liquid by the end of the day. You may need to find a food which suits him better.

Agree. My boys' evening poops are usually less firm, but never liquid to the point where they can't be picked up.

Try adding a little carrot pulp or plain oatmeal for fiber. It will help slow down digestion, giving the large intestine enough time to draw out the excess liquid from the stool.