Less Poop Food

Guest Downtownhoundz

So funny you started this thread. I was thinking of starting the same topic, as we are switching Bootsy off of raw and back to kibble. The best thing about raw is the tiny poop.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I've fed four different kinds of kibble ranging from grain-free to limited ingredient with different protein sources and different grades. Poop content was all about the same except Iams seemed to produce bigger poops for a short period of time (most likely due to the added fiber). I think raw is just about the only thing that changes poop size.

Guest Downtownhoundz

What type of "raw" is the best for poops? I give him chicken legs and hearts & gizzards sometimes. He's having so much trouble going to the bathroom and will produce big boulder sized poops after much straining.

How often do you feed them raw?

If he's straining, you may want more fiber, not less. I'd be cautious of raw with bones for him unless/until you know what his problem is. What is he eating now?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Not to get too technical about poops, but if he is really straining, it is likely the poop is too firm rather than too much/too big :P If that is the case, anything with bone with only firm it up more. You could try some canned food or boneless meat, but a little straining is good as it keeps the glands cleaned out.