Regulating Water Intake?

Guest iLoveLucie

Guest iLoveLucie

Our male will often drink a bunch of water then go romp and play and then puke up all the water on our carpet. I think he just drinks a little too much and then is way too active after drinking (I think I'd do the same thing if I had a big drink and then went for a fast run!) but it has been happening rather frequently - almost once a day or so for the past month. DH thinks we should try to regulate his drinking water - ie stop him from drinking after a while or pull up the water bowl. And possibly try to restrict his activity after drinking water - ie. no zoomies after water. Makes sense, but in reality it might be hard to do as it would require a good deal of active supervision. Plus not sure I want to be moving the water dish for our female who doesn't have any issues.

Anyone else ever deal with something like this? Any tips?

It usually happens the other way around - a big romp, then the drinking and puking. I would probably encourage him to NOT drink right before you know you're going out to play. Either pick up the bowl or stop him after a few gulps.

We will interrupt them if they're just standing there drinking for a long time. They get a good amount of water on their food, and have a big bucket outside, so there's no need for marathon drinking sessions inside. I think it's just a habit they can get into sometimes.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest iLoveLucie

Thanks Chris! Now that you mention it, Buddy does seem to get very excited as we are prepping to go out for a walk.... he will run around the living room pouncing on every single squeaky toy he can find - the water drinking is sometimes before or after or even during. All I know is I'm usually mopping up a puddle as I'm dressed in a coat ready to walk.

PS - Love the Christmas pic of your pack :) We'll miss you ant Toni at Mirabella this Friday!

Sounds like he's "tanking up." Filling up the pee shooter for maximum pee mail leaving!

I never let my dog just stand and drink and drink and drink. If he's really thirsty, he'll go back after I've stopped him, but I do think it may be a leftover habit from the track where they don't have water in their kennels with them all the time.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thanks Chris! Now that you mention it, Buddy does seem to get very excited as we are prepping to go out for a walk.... he will run around the living room pouncing on every single squeaky toy he can find - the water drinking is sometimes before or after or even during. All I know is I'm usually mopping up a puddle as I'm dressed in a coat ready to walk.

PS - Love the Christmas pic of your pack :) We'll miss you ant Toni at Mirabella this Friday!

So just remember to pick up the water bowl before you pick up the leash!

We'll miss you guys too! Toni had a great Christmas hat to wear! PM me your new address and I'll send you a Christmas card!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly