Oh, Man. Torn Dewclaw ...

Guest greysmitten

Guest greysmitten

After a good romp at the dog park, I was walking away with Azi on the leash. I looked down and saw a drop of blood on my shoe. I checked my nose first (ha!), then scoped her out.

Holy moly! Those suckers bleed a lot. She tore it down to the quick, and it looks like it will grow back as normal. Poor Azi.

37928ff212d541cd4db17ff497a82e06.jpg

At least she tore it all the way off. Diamond has torn hers partially off twice - both after hours or on weekends. I'm way too squeamish to deal with them myself, so both times I carted her off to the evet.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest greysmitten

At least she tore it all the way off. Diamond has torn hers partially off twice - both after hours or on weekends. I'm way too squeamish to deal with them myself, so both times I carted her off to the evet.

Eek, she didn't tear it off completely. It's torn partially down the quick. I just changed her bandage and I can't believe how much it has bled. I might go out ASAP to get some styptic! What a wake up call ... My emergency kit isn't stocked :S

Normal for approx. 5 hours? First bandage ...

a8f8acc3631ccde1ab98143dd72489c0.jpg

Crap. Sorry, should have put a warning on that! Sorry!!

Broken nails can bleed a lot. The bigger question is whether and how much is it still actively bleeding? Unless the bandage soaks through with blood, I wouldn't disturb it for at least 12-24 hours. If it continues to bleed, might need to have the vet check it tomorrow.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Melissa516

We had the exact same thing happen to Fred a few nights ago. I let Fred & Ginger in after their last potty break at about 10:30pm and then it was time to play let's figure out who is bleeding all over the house! Fred somehow took off about half (maybe 2/3) of a dew claw, and they really do bleed a lot. It seemed like there was blood everywhere! My husband helped me clean it up and bandage it. We've just been changing the bandage and keeping it clean. If it starts to look funky, we'll head to the vet. But I must say, Fred's bandage is not half as good as Azi's!

millie tore her dew claw nail off a few years ago while running. just a dangly fleshy bit left oozing blood. went to vet, he did a quick 'surgical' removal of the dangly bit (he pulled it off quickly by hand), after letting me know he was going to do that. not worth the trauma of anestesia, surgery, recovery. she did a small yelp & oodles of blood pooled on the floor. looked like an episode of dexter. antibiotic shot, pain killer shot, pressure & a bandage and all was well. it stopped bleeding and the dewclaw grew back after a while. she's not done that again since.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

It looks nice and healthy. You're doing what I'd do!

Naples tore her dew several years ago. Her's was different: she tore the skin around it, and dislocated the joint. We decided to just have the dews removed while she was under for a dental. Glad we did!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.