Teddi And I Could Use Some Good Vibes!

Guest kkaiser104

Guest kkaiser104

Last night, at 1am, I found Teddi lying on my bed in blood. I quickly figured out that he wasn't dying, but that the tumor on his toe has ripped open and was bleeding. It was awful. I tried to get it to stop for 20 minutes and then decided I needed to take him to the emergency vet. It's a 45 minute trip, so we arrived to a waiting vet around 215am. The vet couldn't figure out a way to stitch the tumor to prevent it from bleeding again (it had stopped at this point). He wrapped it up really well and took slides of it. It's definitely a tumor, and he suggested that it should be removed. He was worried that Teddi might have to lose the toe, as the tumor is pretty large.

I emailed Dr. Kellogg at OSU today and we'll be making the trip up there as soon as she's available (I'm hoping for tomorrow...because otherwise we'll have to wait until next week).

We could use some good vibes! I'm hoping he doesn't have to lose the toe, and hoping that it's benign.

Good luck! Even if he does have to lose a toe, it will not affect his quality of life, though I know it's an awful thought at first. Plenty of us have three-toe houndies -- just watched mine doing full-out zoomies this morning (and hers is a weight-bearing toe too). It might be the easiest healing and best measure if it is a tumor.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest kkaiser104

Good luck! Even if he does have to lose a toe, it will not affect his quality of life, though I know it's an awful thought at first. Plenty of us have three-toe houndies -- just watched mine doing full-out zoomies this morning (and hers is a weight-bearing toe too). It might be the easiest healing and best measure if it is a tumor.

What kind of after-care did the toe amp require? I'm really worried about not being able to be around all of the time--I have classes 20+ hours a week plus work another 10 hours a week. I'm sure plenty of people are in the same predicament. I just want to be prepared for a toe amp and hope that he doesn't need one.

At least he'll need the foot wrapped and restricted activity for a week or two. Probably a muzzle with stool-guard. I had complications with healing and it was stressful for several weeks. I wish I'd done crate rest right at the beginning; the healing probably would have gone better. I ended up day-boarding Beth at the vet for a couple of weeks so my days were free and they could keep an eye on her; she loves it there and I'd do that again any time I felt she needed more supervision than I could offer. There are lots of threads in the archive on toe amputation experiences.

Make sure they do a cytology ... I looked at your original post and it still looks like a histiocytoma to me, in which case it will go away on its own if you can hang on -- the hemorrhaging might be a problem though. But of course I'm not a vet, and obviously I don't know what the slides showed.

I don't know that an amputation would require any more aftercare than a surgery on a toe with wide margins. The issue is that greyhound toes have little skin and poor circulation to healing them is never a picnic. There will certainly be much better options for suturing etc. with an amputation. But you are lucky you can go to the experts, so trust whatever they recommend!

Edited by PrairieProf

sending good thoughts!!! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest kkaiser104

Well, 7 hours spent at OSU and we have no more information then we had before. Their needle aspiration was non-diagnostic. Dr. Kellogg and I decided to give it a week, see what happens, and we'll go from there. She believes it's a histiocytoma, but if it gets any bigger or won't stop bleeding then it'll have to be removed surgically. They might be able to just take the tumor, but more likely, they'll have to amputate the whole toe. The surgery is tenitively scheduled for next Friday.

He's on 75mg Rimadyl 2x/day. Is this a standard dosage? He seems to still be in pain--lots of crying and he won't put weight on the foot for more then a second. He wanted to lie up in my bed but I was afraid he'd be picking at the bandage and didn't want to muzzle him if I didn't have to, so now he's laying out in the living room on top of two dog beds so he'll have some extra padding.

8145578334_cc0e561f8f.jpg

Untitled by Katelyn Kaiser, on Flickr

The great people at OSU let Teddi take a nap in an empty room while we were waiting for his path reports so he didn't have to stand on the foot. He refuses to lay down in the busy waiting room.

8146121632_b4792227d6.jpg

Here's his new bed set up. We'll see how he does tonight, but he'll probably have to be muzzled tomorrow while I'm in class. I can't imagine he'll keep away from it while it's hurting otherwise. I wish I could just stay home with him!

Rimadyl dose sounds right 1mg/lb twice daily OR 2mgs/lb once daily-with food). You might want to give OSU a ring and ask them to call in a prescription for Tramadol to your pharmacy-might help with the pain. I would also check the bandage and make sure it's not too tight--he might feel better with the bandage off and only a baby sock on his foot.

Guest kkaiser104

The bandage is very loose and he's growling at me if I go near it, so I'm going to just leave it alone for tonight. He was walking on it a lot today which he hasn't been doing since it got injured, so I'm sure that doesn't help. I'll email Dr. Kellogg and see if tramadol is an option as well.

If you have to get near that foot, please muzzle him so you don't get nipped.

Gracie had a toe amp. They had to go up 2 joints. It was an inner toe and they didn't want the nub rubbing on the ground. An outer toe may be easier. Other than a few dressing changes and tramadol, it was a simple procedure.

Hope Teddi gets to feeling better soon.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest kkaiser104

If you have to get near that foot, please muzzle him so you don't get nipped.

Gracie had a toe amp. They had to go up 2 joints. It was an inner toe and they didn't want the nub rubbing on the ground. An outer toe may be easier. Other than a few dressing changes and tramadol, it was a simple procedure.

Hope Teddi gets to feeling better soon.

I tried to muzzle him tonight but he was growling while I was trying to muzzle. I'm just going to let him take a nap and we'll look at it again in the morning. No swelling around the bandage and he's sleeping comfortably now. This is also an inner toe.

Putting a dab of peanut in that muzzle might make it more enticing.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm sorry you didn't get clearer news and Teddi is in so much discomfort. It's just since the growth started bleeding that he's been in pain, right? Poor guy.

Beth's inner-toe amputation healing was NOT so simple (although it did not seem particularly painful at any point), but she's fine now.

Guest kkaiser104

I'm sorry you didn't get clearer news and Teddi is in so much discomfort. It's just since the growth started bleeding that he's been in pain, right? Poor guy.

Beth's inner-toe amputation healing was NOT so simple (although it did not seem particularly painful at any point), but she's fine now.

He was absolutely fine prior to the bleeding. Now he's laying in my bed sleeping and has whined a few times but seems to be pretty calm. I think he's happy I let him up on my bed since I made him stay in the living room where I could watch him when we first got home. He was getting annoyed with my roommate's puppy in the living room.

I'm of the mindset that no surgery is "simple". I'm just hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

Guest kkaiser104

Awww, so sorry to hear about Teddi's poor toe. Hoping everything works itself out sooner than later.

If he does need surgery, I would definitely do the pre-op bloodwork to dose his anesthesia correctly. Sometimes you have to request it.

I'll make sure to do that! He would be having the surgery at OSU(with Dr. Kellogg being in communication with the soft tissue surgeon), so that does make me feel a little better about it.

Guest grandmagrey

My beautiful, wonderful, goofy, grandog Teddi! My heart breaks when animals are in pain. Please confer w our vet here if questions arise or if you cannot get dr kellog for any reason. He said he would work w Dr kellog. He knows her personally. Use all resources and lets hope for the best! Hugs for both of you!!

Guest kkaiser104

Good news! While it's too early to say for sure, his foot does look better tonight!!!

Prepare for slightly graphic photos:

Here it was when it first showed up:

8092475395_b984c95d45.jpg

Here it was the morning after the emergency vet, before I took him to OSU:

8146500549_dfd02a39b5.jpg

And then here it is today:

8152098947_7ef9438e49.jpg

What do you think? Does it look a little better to you guys?

Yup, that reminds me of how Beth's look as it began to shrink. It took several weeks but I could see changes little by little. It looked crusty or creased at times as it regressed. I also read online (read every experience with histiocytoma I could find!) people reporting that sometimes rupturing did seem to trigger shrinking soon afterward.

Edited by PrairieProf

Guest kkaiser104

Yup, that reminds me of how Beth's look as it began to shrink. It took several weeks but I could see changes little by little. It looked crusty or creased at times as it regressed. I also read online (read every experience with histiocytoma I could find!) people reporting that sometimes rupturing did seem to trigger shrinking soon afterward.

Did you wrap hers while it was shrinking (or have you heard of people who do?) I'm just wondering how long I should keep it wrapped up.

Hers was on her ribcage so N/A. I've not heard of wrapping but mostly they're not on the feet. You're just trying to prevent it from being knocked open or getting infected, right?

I was wondering, what about a thin layer of Musher's Secret paw wax or something on it to give it some protection? It seems a lot to wrap the whole foot to prevent abrasion on one small area, and I'd think the wrap would tend to rub on it itself. But I'd ask the vet.

Guest grandmagrey

As a nurse w wound care experience, and Teddi's grandma! I am hopeful. It is shrinking. The whiteness of the peri-wound area is a sign of decreased vascularity. Lol around the wound is white--that means less blood flow to the area. The tumor should shrink if science is right. Crossing my fingers! Hugs to you and Teddi. Glad hes being given a chance to keep his toe and proud of you for taking such good care of him!!