Winter Dry Skin

Guest Jacks_Human

Guest Jacks_Human

As the cold weather has rolled in, Jack's been getting dry/flaky skin. It doesn't seem to be itchy (he's not scratching) or otherwise irritated. He also gets regular fur-friendly supplements (fish, etc), and his coat is shiny. My suspicion is it's from having the radiator on much of the day.

Any tips on how to combat the dryness?

Radiator = hot water heating? I always thought that didn't lower the humidity? What percentage does your thermostat show your relative humidity being at? I don't like mine lower than 30%. It's easy to adjust upwards with a forced air gas furnace with an attached humidifier but I'm guessing you'd need a stand-alone humidifer.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

he's black, right???? that's the answer- you can see far more dandruff in a black dog. continue w/ the fish oil, when his shed is over, the dandruff should subside. i brush the dog well to bring out the natural oils and then take a damp paper towel or soft rag and wipe off the dandruff. my black dog always seemed to have drier skin during a shed than the red fawns.

I know MY skin gets really dry in the winter, especially when it is really cold outside. I would imagine it would be similar with dogs, I don't know how much you can do. I do know people use an apple cider vinegar rinse in their hair to combat dandruff...vinegar also works great in the washing machine to prevent static cling. Maybe you could try giving him a rinse with that and see if it works (never tried it but I just thought of the idea.. :dunno )

I know MY skin gets really dry in the winter, especially when it is really cold outside. I would imagine it would be similar with dogs, I don't know how much you can do. I do know people use an apple cider vinegar rinse in their hair to combat dandruff...vinegar also works great in the washing machine to prevent static cling. Maybe you could try giving him a rinse with that and see if it works (never tried it but I just thought of the idea.. :dunno )

i think the cider vinegar will be too strong for the skin, hair is quite different. there are mink oil sprays out there, $$$ and pretty good for a temporary fix. there are also some really good horse products which may cost less, vectoshine seems to ring a bell. but i always say solve the problem from within. i use lakse cronch cold pressed salmon oil- like grizzley salmon- pretty good. it takes around 6 weeks to fix the problem. start slow w/ the oil- and increase. i give mine 4 pumps- recommended is 3 pumps, but that's what they need. also the food should have at least 24% protien and 14% fat to maintain these thin skinned dogs' coats.(info from a 40+ year saluki breeder i know)

Edited by cleptogrey