Hyper On Phenobarb?

Wonder

Thunder (2.5 yrs old) started phenobard Sept 26th and I've noticed he's become very hyper. I mentioned it to my vet (who is not thunder's vet, he has an appt in 2 weeks with his vet) and he said he's never heard of a hound getting hyper on it.

So anyone with a younger hound notice them becoming hyper?

He's also very vocal and with Passion on pheno as well, my house is pretty loud some times :rofl

I just mentioned the hyperness to someone on a FB group that I'm in. She said when she was on pheno as a kid, she got super hyper

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

It may be the weather too Kari. My normally sedate bunch is absolutely nuts because of the cooler weather, especially Bandita. They need to go out and run in the back yard a couple of times a day. It may be a combination of the two. He should settle down in a couple of weeks. Most side effects of phono subside with time. In the mean time, maybe more adult beverages would be in order, for you of course. :rofl

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm guessing that just like with humans, meds affect each differently sometimes. I can't say Rainey was hyper, like bouncing off the walls, but she was very vocal and got increasingly agitated as time went on, but that was most likely from the dementia.

I just about went bonkers with Rainey whining, I can't imagine two :o

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm guessing that just like with humans, meds affect each differently sometimes. I can't say Rainey was hyper, like bouncing off the walls, but she was very vocal and got increasingly agitated as time went on, but that was most likely from the dementia.

I just about went bonkers with Rainey whining, I can't imagine two :o

Yep and Rainey was older, like Passion is so I didn't think they would get hyper.

Passion has plenty of other side effects from the pheno so I'm glad hyper isn't one more on the list :lol

It may be the weather too Kari. My normally sedate bunch is absolutely nuts because of the cooler weather, especially Bandita. They need to go out and run in the back yard a couple of times a day. It may be a combination of the two. He should settle down in a couple of weeks. Most side effects of phono subside with time. In the mean time, maybe more adult beverages would be in order, for you of course. :rofl

It could be the weather but then I'd think all the hounds would be acting crazy but they realy aren't.

I need to try to get a video of it. It's so funny. His legs are going all different directions as he races around the yard and he's not 100% steady either. Pretty funny to watch.

Passion side effects did get better but her "talking" didn't go away course she did that before the pheno :lol

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17