Random Lameness

For the past week, Wendy has been experiencing seemly random lameness/stiffness in her back legs. Pads are fine, no cuts, bruises or boo-boo's are apparent. One moment she's walking just fine, the next she's limping from her right leg or it seems stiff. The next moment she's hopping around with her left leg in the air. Bizarre. She seems a little 'poopy', too. I'm thinking she's in pain.

We're going to the vet tomorrow morning, but of course you all know where my mind is going with this. I'd appreciate any ideas, suggestions, anecdotes or experiences you'd like to share. Or, you can just tell me it's nothing and she'll be just fine!

Thanks GT'ers.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Back problem? LS? Tick disease such as Lyme? Pulled muscle? Bad toe? Really too many possibilities but going from my own dogs I'd lay more odds on a muscle issue or a bad toe. Then again we have not, thankfully, experienced a lot of hind end lameness.

Edited by kudzu

Summer kind of did the same thing. Did Wendy have a fall within the past couple of months? It could be a chiropractic issue stemming from that. The chiropractor fixed Summer right up and now she just goes a couple of times a year for fine-tuning. When Wendy is just standing around, does anything look odd -- maybe a hind leg is slightly out to the side? That could be indicative of her hips being a bit twisted (so one leg is positioned lower at the hips than the other, making it "longer").

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Summer kind of did the same thing. Did Wendy have a fall within the past couple of months? It could be a chiropractic issue stemming from that. The chiropractor fixed Summer right up and now she just goes a couple of times a year for fine-tuning. When Wendy is just standing around, does anything look odd -- maybe a hind leg is slightly out to the side? That could be indicative of her hips being a bit twisted (so one leg is positioned lower at the hips than the other, making it "longer").

No falls that I know of but yes, the right leg looks 'wonky' when viewed from the back. She's going to be 7 years old in December so I'm hoping it's just some old lady stuff. The alternative is horrifying. I wish it were tomorrow already. :hope

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

:bighug Here's hoping it's nothing much. She's young and healthy. If the x-ray is clear (fingers crossed), take a copy to your canine chiropractor -- they are really good at looking at them and always appreciate seeing them before they begin any treatment. Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

:hug Here's hoping it's nothing much. She's young and healthy. If the x-ray is clear (fingers crossed), take a copy to your canine chiropractor -- they are really good at looking at them and always appreciate seeing them before they begin any treatment.

Thanks Lisa. My vet's office has a holistic vet and a canine chiropractor on board so my girl is in good hands.