Enlarged Lymph Node In "armpit"

Guest kjml2004

Guest kjml2004

Hi. My 8yr old male retired racer has an enlarged lymph node just behind his right upper leg (the vet refers to the area as his armpit). We had it aspirated when we first found it and it came back as lymph node. The vet was not concerned and told us to come back if it got larger or if the dog seemed sick in any way. A month later, it is certainly larger and we just had it aspirated again in two different spots. Both came back as lymph node. He is not showing any signs of illness and is eating, walking, sleeping just as normal. He is laying on that side and does not seem to be affected by it at all. We are going in for blood work next week to see if we can determine the reason for the swelling. The vet is not specialized in greyhounds and I am trying to find out if there is something specific to the breed I should inform him of. Any info is appreciated. Thank you!

Guest greybookends

I would be concerned it is Lymphoma or that your hound has some other infection going on that is causing the lymph nodes to become enlarged. I would check for a TBD. My Sheana had enlarged lymph nodes due to fighting a TBD and antibiotics took care of things.

Guest kjml2004

Thank you for the reply! I am sorry for the loss of your precious Bill. He looks like my Lance. What is a TBD? Is that Tick-Borne Disease?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

A month later, it is certainly larger and we just had it aspirated again in two different spots. Both came back as lymph node.

Were the aspirates submitted to a pathologist or read in-clinic by your own vet? Were the cells in the lymph node normal or reactive? With only 1 lymph node affected, I would check the associated leg/foot very carefully for any abnormalities - skin infections, lumps or growths etc. Make sure you check between the toes and under the foot, as well as all the way up the leg.

Any new updates?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest kjml2004

Thank you all for your suggestions and concerns. After some further tests this week that came back unconclusive I have opted to have it removed. He will be going in Tues am.

Thank you all for your suggestions and concerns. After some further tests this week that came back unconclusive I have opted to have it removed. He will be going in Tues am.

Keep us posted! Might consider having your hounds teeth cleaned at the same time while he's under.