Evening Whining/barking

Guest Lady_Catherine

Guest Lady_Catherine

So Bessie has started a new behavior in the past month or so. In the evenings, she'll whine or bark for no apparent reason. She's been fed, she's been walked, she's been played with, she's been potty. She does not seem to be in pain or anything like that- just chatting. Any ideas why she may be doing it? It's starting to drive me nuts. Good thing she's so adorable!

283837_10100164628729922_671025936_n.jpg

Guest zombrie

Hard to say without seeing the behavior. But my girl Minerva is very chatty, and is not afraid to let you know when she has too much energy and wants to run :P (even after long walks!)

Please let me know what you figure out. Because Maci is totally driving me crazy with her every 10 minute BARKING in my face to go out.

Every

Ten

Minutes

BARKING

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

sounds like extra energy to me. mine pass out at night- but their pre dinner ritual includes a good run and post dinner ritual is a 2 mile walk. they only make noise, act crazy or what ever when they have energy to spare. my motto is:" a good dog is a tired dog"- that goes for children as well.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Mine does it for attention. She'll just lay in another room, barking and kicking, until one of us comes in to play with her.

Teaching the dog "quiet" can help. When Jayne sits on the couch whining for no reason, she'll stop after I tell her "quiet".

Guest Downtownhoundz

I also have an evening "whiner" and it starts promptly at 8:00pm...that's his que to let me know it's time for us to go to bed!

Guest Lady_Catherine

She's one year old! I may have to make her extra long walk extra extra long. :) We also play frisbee in the yard, but maybe I'll extend that as well. I do notice that she does not generally do it on Doggy Day Care days, and I know they wear her out! She always sleeps the whole way home. :)

Does she chew? We had a foster who was an attention-barker and the only thing that kept him quiet was a giant nylabone to chew on in his crate. It tired him out.

Nigel is also an 'attention barker' ....about 20 minutes before supper time.

The only thing that 'works' is to totally ignore him.

We have to not even look at him or acknowledge he is in the room....then he'll stop barking after a few seconds and walk away.

If you give him the slightest glance or -- heaven forbid -- speak to him, he just gets louder.

DH has the worst time with him because he usually tells Nigel to 'be quiet'.

I have more will power, and Nigel rarely barks if I am home.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

She's one year old! I may have to make her extra long walk extra extra long. :) We also play frisbee in the yard, but maybe I'll extend that as well. I do notice that she does not generally do it on Doggy Day Care days, and I know they wear her out! She always sleeps the whole way home. :)

she's still a wee puppy in a big body. when she's 4 she'll hang like an older grey, but until then it's lots of play and exercize so she can use some of her energy. obedience work also fatigues them. she's just starting to build up strength....lots of physical maturing to come. and she might be in the middle of adolescene behavior- their brains go flat any were from 9 months to 1.5 yrs of age. anything that they have learned goes out the window. exercise- crazy exercise will be your best friend. at that stage felix would run after the tennis ball- 3xs a day- 60+ passes back and forth in our rototilled yard and still want to go for a walk!

Guest Tes623

she's still a wee puppy in a big body. when she's 4 she'll hang like an older grey,

I wish Luigi knew that....he's almost 6 and is still full of beans--especially at night! :ghplaybow