Prednisone Reaction

Guest Playful_Grey

Guest Playful_Grey

I have a sweet playful 3 yr old 55 lb. female who started limping 2 1/2 weeks ago. I took her to the vet when after 48 hrs she was not improving and he put her on vetprophen. She did get some better but not much and was still very much her silly playful self. This week he examined her & narrowed the problem down to her left front knee/elbow. She has never yelped or "complained" - only limped. He put her on 10mg prednisone 2X's a day for 5 days then 10mg once a day for 5 days. This is day 2 and the limp is gone but so is my playful girl. She seems very lethargic and sad. Should I be concerned? We are also trying to get rid of chronic hookworms with Nemex if that matters. I have 3 cats but she is my first dog and a treasure. Thank you for any insight.

Wow. Prednisone for a limp?

Any unexplained limp in a Greyhound needs an x-ray, in my opinion. 3 is pretty young for it to be osteo, but no way in heck would I pass one up. I have honestly never in my life heard of steroids being given for a limp. No clue what "vetprophen" is--I assume an NSAID of some sort. Given she improved a little, perhaps he figures that the much more powerful antinflammatory properties of steroids will help--but I assume you would mention swelling if she had any.

I'd insist on an x-ray if it were my dog.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I agrre with GeorgeofNE. Prednisone for a limp with that history? Treatment protocol sounds somewhat screwy to me. How much do you know about that vet? Some of them you really don't want "practicing" on your dog. Also surely? he knows not to mix NSAID's and pred? You never know. You'd better check on it yourself to protect your girl.

Edited by racindog

Guest Playful_Grey

Thank you both. I really appreciate an objective opinion. No there is no swelling and he said during the examination that he didn't feel anything that would make him think an X-Ray was necessary however he acknowledged that she is still limping and "hurts" when he bends and presses on the front left joint. I admit I may be a wee bit over protective but her limp was so pronounced and wasn't getting better. They were very respectful and not patronizing at all but I honestly think they felt I was over reacting the first time we went in. I want to do everything I can to give her a happy and healthy life. My biggest concern is that there is a hairline fracture (although other grey owners in the area think I'm worrying too much - weak smile) THANK YOU for the information and warning not to mix the meds. I make sure she gets any meds with food to protect her stomach. I will ask for an X-Ray. How concerned would you be about her personality change?

With a mom like you she'll be alright! I just know they depend on you since they can't speak for themselves -so to speak-and IMO YOU are the best judge of her state. I had one ER vet SEND ME HOME with Slim whose leg was FRACTURED and diagnosed luckily by the 2nd vet I took him to. The er vet said it was his knee blown out-which was stupid to begin with since that very rarely is a greyhound issue. So listen to your heart-not necessarily the vets IMO. I would just love and baby her and see if her personality didn't start to correct. Poor things- it is sad to see them ailing and not be able to just fix it right off. And I personally try not to give hardly any rx's.

Guest Playful_Grey

You know this is my first experience with a forum of any kind. I am so thankful (Greyt-ful... Smile) ~ it is amazing the difference the experience & wisdom offered makes. Especially to a newbie. Smile. I know Kenzie is thankful for the calming effect. Grin. She is on the couch next to me "roaching" for the first time in over a week. It's such a privilege to care for and love these treasures.

Guest sweetpea

Prednisone is a pretty high powered drug, some dogs react poorly to it.

My vet jumped straight to pred because if Sweetpea's injury warranted surgery, they didn't want the complication

of nsaids in her system. But Sweetpea reacted so badly to the pred that she now has a note in her file that

pred is a last resort only.

Do you know if she injured her leg specifically or is this an "out of the blue" limp?

2.5 weeks is long enough to be guessing, I'd get an xray, Ohio State will look at your xray results for free,

their contact info is below.

Good luck,

Buzzy

Here it is:

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

Edited by sweetpea