Heartgard Plus And Vectra 3D

Guest jvandover

Guest jvandover

Does anyone know anything about these 2 products? New vet doesn't have Frontline or Triheart. Is vectra worth the extra cost? Sorry for not being able to do a search I only have 5 minutes at work for this.

Heartgard Plus is the original brand name product and is probably one of the most popular heartworm preventatives on the market. It's a good product and very safe. Triheart is a generic that uses the same active ingredients as Heartgard.

I personally haven't tried Vectra, but previous discussions here seem to indicate that some greyhounds have had reactions to it. There are also some who have used it on their greyhounds with no problems.

Here are links to previous threads about Vectra 3D:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/274177-vectra/

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/278366-vectra-3d/page__hl__vectra

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/285503-vectra-3d/page__hl__vectra

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I say no to Vectra. I probably have some posts in JJNg's links.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Heartgard Plus is known for causing some soft poop in the first 24 hours after it's administered. The suspicion is that it's the flavoring in the chewable (vet today said the flavoring is pork and soy), since people who used the unflavored version that used to be on the market didn't have the soft-poop issue. At any rate, soft poop (but not full-blown diarrhea) has been the only complication with Heartgard Plus around here.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)