Vectra?

Guest driser

Guest driser

Our vet is suggesting Vectra instead of Frontline. Frontline is obviously working as I found a dead tick in our guy's crate. And I just bought 6 month supply of Frontline that I don't want to go to waste. I know Vectra is new. Has it been proven Greyhound safe??

Do not use Vectra.

one GT thread

what happened to my friend's non-grey

Editing to add: do a search here in H&M for Vectra and you'll find lots of information, most of it saying to avoid the Vectra. Banfield really pushes the Vectra. By any chance is that the vet service you use? IIRC Vectra has also been re-named/re-packaged but it's still the same nasty stuff.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Agreed- stay away from Vectra. I think the Banfield Vectra has a different name & packaging but it's the same stuff. LOTS of dogs have been reacting to it.

• 3 months later...
Guest verthib

Do not use Vectra.

one GT thread

what happened to my friend's non-grey

Editing to add: do a search here in H&M for Vectra and you'll find lots of information, most of it saying to avoid the Vectra. Banfield really pushes the Vectra. By any chance is that the vet service you use? IIRC Vectra has also been re-named/re-packaged but it's still the same nasty stuff.

Well I did a search of "Vectra" and all I find are folks saying DO NOT USE VECTRA... no reasons why. It's the same med as K9 Advantix and lots of folks use that on their greys. Why is Vectra worse than Advantix.???

If you look at the Advantix thread that's here on Health and Medical, you'll see that many people don't approve of Advantix on greyhounds. Advantix and Vectra both use permethrin, and for many greyhounds permethrin is a problem.

And at least one of the Vectra threads discusses complications that a vet's office has seen from the Vectra. (Drooling, itching, etc.) You can find a list of potential problems here. Note that this isn't particularly a greyhound issue; permethrins can be a problem for any breed of dog and for all cats.

If your dog is fine on permethrin, then there may not be a difference between Vectra and Advantix. For dogs that don't handle permethrins well, either treatment causes problems. My general (very unscientific) rule of thumb is that if it isn't safe enough for a cat, I don't want to use it on my dogs.

Whichever you use, you might want to apply the flea/tick preventative at a time when your vet will be available if there's a problem. You don't want ER bills on top of other woes if your dog doesn't handle the preventative well.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest karma98104

I also just posted on the other Vectra thread, but again... I used it on my three whippets and bad things happened. One of them had such a bad skin reaction I had to take him to the Evet.