Apples To Clean Teeth And Other Ideas

I was looking at another post and saw where someone is giving their dogs an apple every day to help clean their teeth. I have never heard of this and wondering if it is safe to give them one daily ? I don't know if Ruby will eat them but it might be worth a try. Do I cut it up or give it whole ? I do brush her teeth a few times a week so they are not too bad but I would like them to look a little better. I have been using an enzymatic toothpaste and lately been trying coconut oil too (except for today because she had diarrhea).

She gets diarrhea from Bully Sticks so those are out and I haven't been able to get turkey necks lately. I am sure they will be back in the stores with Winter coming.

Would love to hear what other tricks you use to clean their teeth and how often you do it. Thanks.

Karen

I am assuming apples would be fine to feed daily...but I would cut them in half and/or de-seed because I think the seeds are bad (I'm sure you would have to eat a lot but still...). Apples are good for cleaning human teeth as well but they only get off the loose plaque. I don't know how benefical they would be on their own for teeth cleaning, but I'm sure they are an okay option as a treat if your pup will actually eat them. Whole carrots are good too. Leave them in as big of pieces as you can.

We have wild apples here from the pioneer orchards and the coyotes much gorge themselves because all the coyote poop on the trails now is almost all apple skins! I'm assuming if they can eat it a dog can!

Guest iconsmum

I'd give the milder carrot before I'd give apple - the acid content bothers tummy linings and can produce gastro issues...I'd hate to think my dog had burning reflux and couldn't say so while i continued to give him daily apple....

My dogs love apple and carrots. Carrots are what we use regularly for treats. I think they're good for weight control which I have to watch with my labradoodle. Apples are BIG treats here. They all love them. I take seeds out as they are purported to have arsenic in them. That said, they would have to have a heck of a lot of seeds , but I don't take chances.

Just wondering... If apple contains a lot of fructose and plaque bacteria thrive off that, wouldn't this be counterproductive? It may provide an abrasive surface for teeth to scrape off shallow plaque, but it may provide even more fodder for bacterial growth. Yes? No? Maybe so?