Mirtizapine And Tramadol Together - Serontonin Syndrome?

hi guys,

sorry for yet another post :(

Nube continues to not eat so as a last ditch attempt I got some mirtizapine in the hope it will make him want to eat.

however, looking online, I see that taking that along with Tramadol increases the risk for something called serotonin syndrome : http://www.petmd.com...otonin_syndrome

has anyone here used both at the same time without issues? I called the oncologist (I had called yesterday to renew his tramadol and to get the mirtizapine, so I would have thought if they thought we shouldn't combine they would have said something then) and just spoke to them, they said they regularly combine both with no issues (SS is a rare side effect)... but I'm still afraid.

also, how long did it take before you saw their appetite come back?

we have our vet scheduled to come out tomorrow at 3pm to let Nube join Rainey but I am hoping this will work miracles....but I don't want his last 24 hours to be horrible from a side effect :(

thanks in advance for your input.

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Kim and Brucd, you guys have been in my thoughts non stop and continue to be. If Nube's ends up joining Rainy tomorrow, he will be in good hands as tomorrow is my dad's funeral. He will look after Rainy and Nube. :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Kim and Brucd, you guys have been in my thoughts non stop and continue to be. If Nube's ends up joining Rainy tomorrow, he will be in good hands as tomorrow is my dad's funeral. He will look after Rainy and Nube. :grouphug

oh Robin, I'm so sorry about your dad. I didn't know... :cry1 sending many, many hugs to you :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest undergreysspell

I had a shepherd mix that was on tramadol, gabapentin, previcox, and mirtazapine at the same time with no problems. I hope the best for you and Nube.

It's ok, Kim. My dad actually passed in April but there was a long wait for cremations to go I not Arlingon National Cemetary.

I hoping for a good follow up tomorrow :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm a pharmacist so my expertise only extends to humans, but yes it can happen but it is fairly low risk (in people anyway). They are frequently used together with no problem, you just have to monitor for the rare case of serotonin syndrone. At high doses it could be more likely. Or if someone is on multiple "mood" medications (eg clomipramine)

Having developed serotonin from a rare combination of drugs that are prescribed together all the time without problems, the main thing I would worry about is how you're going to recognize it if it develops in a dog--that's something you might want to ask your vet about, signs you want to be looking for, maybe if you're really worried, checking blood pressure.

I really hope this works and helps Nube.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.