Chewing Items For Teeth

Guest BlackandTan

Guest FreeholdHound

Harry had his 1st bully stick today... It was like houndie crack!! He went at it for a good 3hrs non stop!! I had to drag him outside to pee lol. I ordered the large 12" ones so he got thru about a 1/4 of it before I hid it in the freezer. He was honestly in heaven, I was shocked. So I guess I found a weekend treat for him. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest newgreymama

Could anyone explain what beef trachea is like? It seems so tiny, I mean it is hollow and thin on the sides, and it looks brittle. Am I wrong? Are they really hard and chewy? Are they smelly? How long do they last in comparison to a bully stick?

If there're any vets around, Have you encountered any horror stories involving beef trachea?

They are SO cheap, and I really want to give them a shot if they are as good as they sound

Depends on the dog, I think. They don't last as long as say, a bully stick, but they don't get devoured as fast as a Milkbone. I have one who snarfs it up as soon as she can, and another one who likes to work on it for a little bit (so, like 10-15 minutes vs 5. lol)

I try to find as large and "meaty" ones as I can find. You can try sheep trachea too, I've found that is actually a litte tougher than the beef one, even if it is slightly smaller.

Btw, there are horror stories about everything. Heck, I am sure you can find stories of dogs who choke and die eating kibble if you look hard enough. Use your best judgement, of course, but don't panic. A lot of very loving responsible dog owners treat their dogs to these things. My advice is to relax and enjoy watching your dog chew with abandon (and stand in awe of how fast they get those suckers down! lol). :)

eta: I don't find them overly smelly. Beef jerky smells worse to me.

Edited by newgreymama

This may have already been answered, but when you feed chicken feet, do you feed them raw? Do you cut off the toenails? I decided to try something different for my hounds. Thank you.

Another vote for chicken feet here. Mine are getting 3 a day. I do not trim the nails, they chew everything right up. I also give turkey and duck necks as well as Cornish hens

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

This may have already been answered, but when you feed chicken feet, do you feed them raw? Do you cut off the toenails? I decided to try something different for my hounds. Thank you.

Mine get the whole foot. It's disgusting, but they eat all of it (including the nails).