Greetings From Virginia!

Guest newgreymama

Guest newgreymama

Hi there! After months of researching breeds, a couple of weeks emailing to some folks who know Greys well and reading, reading, reading, we have put an application in to adopt a Greyhound. I am a little nervous-- I hate waiting! We are in Virginia and applied through Greyhound Rescue, Inc, which is slightly over the border in WV. I was able to visit with a couple of the group's representatives in Maryland on Sunday, and they were so nice--it solidified our decision to go through with applying for a Greyhound.

We aren't new to dogs- we have one sweet little mix now--Salsa--but she is a tad agoraphobic and we have been researching large dogs that are sweet and calm and outgoing enough to go places with our family, yet be settled and quiet at home when need be. From what I've read, Greys fit the bill!

We didn't apply with a particular dog in mind, we have full confidence that the group we are adopting through will match us with a Grey that will fit our family perfectly, so it might take some time. In the mean time, I thought it would be helpful to get involved in the Greyhound community a little bit-- so I can learn all the tips, tricks, idiosyncrasies and what to expect when our dog does finally come home. Can't wait to get to know everyone! :)

Edited by newgreymama

Welcome! Yah, Greyhounds are wonderful and unique dogs. You'll get lots of advice and suggestions regarding what to expect. The one piece of advice I always give is relax when s/he finally comes home to you. I know it's easier said than done, and I for one was hyped up for a good month after adopting Annie Bella in July 2011, but one day it hit me that while she's a wonderful dog, pet, companion and a real sweetie (I lucked out), she is a dog and she needs to learn my ways of living as well as me learning her ways of living. So while Greyhounds have what some consider idiosyncrasies (I often use the word neurotic when speaking of them... LOL), remember people are important too.

Guest IrskasMom

Well , isn't that wonderful .My Morty comes from Greyhound Rescue and so was my first Grey Irska. You will be soon a pro in Greys and just like all of us , in GreyWonderland . WELCOME :wave :wave :wave

Feisty49 gave you good Advice: Relax , relax and relax . Time and Patience is what you need now.

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest newgreymama

I know, I do just need to be at peace. I am truly not the world's best waiter. lol

We have kids and a small dog, which I hear are two things that some adoption agencies don't like, but I really believe there is a Grey out there for us, I just hope they are willing to work with us, see that we are taking this seriously and won't just write us off because of that, kwim? I guess that is what I am nervous about :/

Guest undergreysspell

Welcome ! I got my first grey 6 mo ago and have become so obsessed with the breed...They told me it would happen, but I've had different mixed breeds all my life and I wasn't prepared for how wonderful these dogs truly are. There's no going back now...I'm hooked and you will be too ! Hope you get one real soon..you sound like a fantastic dog mamma. Also yes, I have learned so much from the wonderful folks on this forum, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Guest iMrCrumbs

Congrats! I too am a new owner. Its good to know that Virginia has some Greyhounds. I use to live on the Ky Va border and it is BEAUTIFUL in Virginia.. Can't wait to go hiking there again. Congrats again and greetings from Kentucky!

My girl Cody came from Greyhound Rescue years ago!! (When they were still in MD!!)

Welcome - and keep us posted!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome from SW Virginia. All of my three hounds are good with kids and with small dogs; there's lots of greys that are suitable for both (with sensible precautions, of course).

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Hello from Northern VA.

We have a greyhound named Selena-7 who came from( GPA Richmond) now Starcity Greyhounds, I think.

We also have a two year old pitbull named Mosa from Ringdog Rescue.

Our Santannah (fawn brindle) just went to the bridge, she came from Georgia.

Are you going to Dewey Beach in Delaware?

Hugs,

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 33.09 KB (33,886 bytes) file size.

Darlene and Garon with Selena-JCKC 5/23/2005 & Mosa-RDR 2/5/2010

Missing Santannah Belle-NSRA 7/7/2001- 9/6/2012

Guest newgreymama

Hello from Northern VA.

We have a greyhound named Selena-7 who came from( GPA Richmond) now Starcity Greyhounds, I think.

We also have a two year old pitbull named Mosa from Ringdog Rescue.

Our Santannah (fawn brindle) just went to the bridge, she came from Georgia.

Are you going to Dewey Beach in Delaware?

Hugs,

I wish! Unfortunately, we can't make it this year. It looks like a ton of fun. Is it yearly? If so, we will definitely make plans to be there next year! :)