Guest iMrCrumbs

Guest iMrCrumbs

What is the best method at teaching a Grey some tricks. Nothing major but I just wonder what is possible?

Yeah and apparently I need to learn to be aware of my punctuation... *le sigh*

I just posted a video this afternoon of Spriet doing some tricks: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/289899-spriet-showing-off-her-favorite-tricks/

The first things I taught her were giving paw and touch. We also went to obedience and Treibball (ball herding) classes. As long as your dog enjoys doing it there are so many possibilities :)

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.sighthoundgoodies.com

anne_sas3gt_bbuveb.jpg

Guest iMrCrumbs

Oh Dillon is as playful as they get so I am sure he will catch on quick :)

I don't know what is offered where I live, but I need to branch out in my area and find out what is offered.

Personally for trick training I think a clicker is the easiest way to go. I thought Teague was impossible to train in the beginning, but I am working on him a bit with the clicker and he is slllloooowwly learning things. I started with the basic touch target on my finger and then went to shake a paw. He now also knows how to spin around. You just have to have patience and keep things short so they are having fun (from my experience anyways). It took Teague two weeks to learn to shake a paw, every other dog I have had has learned that in about 1 session! lol :)

Clickers are wonderful for training greyhounds. One of the best things I did with Katie was play "101 things to do with a box". This is a game that the dog can't lose, because you basically click them for doing anything with a box that you have set out in the room. The entire idea with this is to teach the dog that it is a GOOD thing to try offering different behaviors. Once they get the lightbulb moment (oh hey! I can make my owner click and give me treats!), then clicker training becomes much easier, because it's all about catching and shaping behavior.

Here's some video of Katie playing 101 things to do with a box

And here's some of her showing off what she knows:

If you are going to go with clicker training, it's a very good idea to use dinner as the treats.

Hope this helps!

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

I'll second the clicker training. Rocket loved it. Don't have any video's, but even learning basic commands was easy using the clicker. He has us very well trained now. :bgeorge

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest iMrCrumbs

I am going to look into a clicker then. I know that Dillon will catch on to it quick. He is by far the smartest dog that I have ever been around.. It really caught me off guard too. HOWEVER the cold nose to the side at 3am because he needs to pee was very unexpected LOL :ghplaybow

When your dog displays a behavior that you want to encourage, give it a name and build from there. When he play bows say "Take a bow" and reward him. They catch on pretty quickly. Most importantly, keep training sessions short and always fun. When he screws up, laugh and start over (or give the screw up a name and call it a new trick). :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.