Vacation And New Dog

Guest ciaran

Guest ciaran

Hello,

Newbie here, both to the forum and to dog ownership.

We don't actually have a greyhound yet, but are approved for adoption and are going to meet an available hound tonight. Here's my question/concern:

We (husband and I) have a vacation planned for the end of October. If we were to bring home this available dog soon, within the next week or so, he'd only be with us for two months before we'd have to leave him for a week for our trip. Does that sound like a bad idea? I wouldn't want to cause him any undue anxiety/trauma. His current foster people have agreed to dogsit him for the week, so he would at least be in a familiar environment. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone who could come to my home and take care of him there.

Opinions? Should we wait until returning from vacation before moving ahead with adoption?

Thanks.

I think since the foster folks will watch him, you should be just fine to get him now and then go on your vacation as scheduled.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Since his foster family has offered to take him for the week you are gone I wouldn't worry about it. He should do fine.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

He should be fine. I'd only had my first boy 2 weeks and I had to go away. He was bordering on being a spook and I thought it would be a huge set back. He did great! I did have someone stay at my house with him, but he was never fostered so there was no foster home to go to.

Staying with the foster home is a terrific idea. When I adopted my guy, we knew that two months later we had to attend our son's wedding in another state. Hard to get out of that commitment :-). My grey stayed with his foster family and their greys and it worked out wonderfully. I don't think he was that used to us yet and he was so well taken care of. When we picked him up he was excited to see us, and came back into our home like he was there forever. I think from his aspect, he visited with someone he already knew, was well cared for, and then happy to get back to us. Don't worry, it will be fine.

Like others have said, since his foster is willing to keep him, it should be fine! When I adopted Eli, I didn't realize that I was going to the beach (to stay in a condo that's like two flights of stairs off the ground) just 4 days after I brought him home (I was blinded by love!). Luckily one of the rescue's board members Grey-sits in her home and was able to watch him, so he got to be surrounded by other Greys like he was used to - it wasn't too jarring for him, which actually surprised me!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Go for it! I'm sure your new pup will handle the separation beautifully -- think of it as a vacation for him/her, too. Summer loves when I send her to Canada's Camp Greyhound. She goes in, settles down and all is good. She's thrilled to see us but she doesn't pine during the stay. You'll worry more than the dog will.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance