Pannus! A Question About Doggles...

Heisman was pawing at his left eye last weekend, and I noticed he was squinting in that eye. Even indoors.

A trip to the vet revealed he has Pannus, an auto-immune eye disorder, not uncommon to our favorite breed. Our vet prescibed an ointment, 4x per day (neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates, bacitracin zinc, and hydrocortsone acetate ophthalmic ointment usp). The vet said this is the conservative RX, and we can always work up to a more powerful steroid, if necessary.

From what I have read, sunshine is not a friend to dogs with Pannus. So I am in the market for eyewear, such as Doggles. Does anyone have experience with them to share? Any sizing recommendations that will fit the slender Greyhound head. Heisman weighs 77 pounds. If I go by the size chart on the Doggles website, the Doggles may too big. Thoughts?

ETA: http://doggles.com/sizing.html

:gh_bow

Edited by Greydawg

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest ShanYu

Nike also has pannus. After treatment with prednisolone he is down to a couple of the drops once a week and no longer squints in the sun so we haven't gone the goggles route. You might want to wait to see if you can get the pannus under control first. It really didn't take long here.

Bee Wiseman had Pannus. She saw a veterinary opthalmologist who diagnosed and treated the condition. I asked him about Doggles, and he told me not to bother. He said that most dogs hate wearing them.

Her condition was well-managed with steroid eye drops.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest Gemma

Peyton has pannus and it was really bad when we first got him but has been well controlled over the last four years. We have never bothered with doggles. He would make such a stink and he seems okay outside.

A medium fit my 90-lb. Baz's slender head. He didn't have pannus; I made him wear doggles in the car since he was an inveterate lean-out-the-window-er. Once the car started moving, he didn't mess with them. Best wishes to Heisman.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

Our dog had it and the steroid drops went from two drops two times a day down to one drop every other day. It really effected her vision as she thought there was a bug or something in her eye and she kept pawing at it to get it out. The drops helped a lot although she still squinted when the sun was shining directly into her eye. You take the drops for the rest of her life - and I noticed last year the price doubled from $12 to $25 for a small bottle of drops which I thought was a terrible increase.

Aw, sorry about Heisman's diagnosis - you live in so much sunshine. :( I think he would look excellent in the racing flames doggles though. B) I think medium was the greyhound size friends were using a few ago.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

We used the Doggles a few years ago with Angel. She didn't have Pannus though. She wore a size small in the "flames" style. It took a while for her to get used to wearing them, just took the advice on the company's directions sheet. B)

Brooke has Pannus and the sun doesn't seem to bother her at all...in fact one of her favourite activities is laying in the sun. We pay $47 for a small bottle though :(

Here she is on Sunday at the beach...another favourite activity is digging in the sand. :wub:

IMG-20120729-00001.jpg

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross