Sore On Leg....

Guest kirstenbergren

Guest kirstenbergren

I think while PJ was saying hi to our neighbor dog Ranger (golden retriever), his legs got a little caught in Ranger's tie-out leash. He yelped a bit and now has a sore on the inside of his left leg. It was an older tie-out leash and has cut my ankle also. He's now had the sore for about a week and a half. I'm taking him to the vet in 2 hours and am just wanting some advice on what to tell the vet for meds/treatment with greys. PJ also got stung/bit on his upper lip while we were on vacation this week. It didn't swell at all but it's quite red. I'm having them look at that too.

I'm just looking for some advice.....

For grazes I use Vetzyme ointment (it has Aloe Vera in it) or cut off a real Aloe Vera leaf and squeeze the sap on a cleaned wound.

I used this when Peggy got caught in a cattle grid (don't ask how a dog can be so stupid as to get all four legs in one of them!) shortly after I got her. The vet just gave an antibiotic shot and said don't let her run for a while and ensure it stays clean.

The sting: Was it a bee and is the stinger in there still, or did a spider bite her? Very important to know in terms of treatment.

Silver Shield (I think you can get it at natural/health food stores) works wonders for us.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest kirstenbergren

How is he?

Thanks for asking!

His sore on his leg has gotten smaller (from about a quarter size to a nickel size). He just keeps licking it. My vet had me try putting on Cortaid for a bit, but that wasn't helping much, so now he's getting Benydryl (spelling??), which we just started last night. He had the same injury in the same spot on his other leg, and it healed within a few days with no problems. I don't quite understand why this one is so interesting for him to lick. I keep spraying it with a liquid I got at the pet store that is suppose to help stop infections and be "soothing" and I've been giving the antihistamine. I tried rigging up a sock to stay on him, but that didn't work, and I can't get anything to stay covering it up. But at least it's getting smaller and still looks good. I'm hoping with time it will heal up.

His lip is still red, but not so much anymore. Actually, when I looked at it over my lunch hour it looked more pink then red.

The vet didn't want to give him steroids for such little sores. She did call to check up on him yesterday and that's when we switched to the antihistamine. She said she'd call again in a few days to see how he's doing again.

He's eating and drinking well and everything else is normal. I have opted not to use the "cone of shame" on him yet. PJ is somewhat of a spook and we've worked really hard these last 2 months that we've had him to get where we are with him. I don't want anything to make our progress go backwards. I will use the cone if it comes to that, but want to try everything else first.

What makes you think the OP's vet isn't capable of treating a simple sore? Sounds like the current issue that is delaying healing is the dog continuing to lick the sore.

For the OP, I almost never have to use an elizabethan collar ("cone of shame") for greyhounds. Their track muzzle is a great tool to prevent licking at wounds. You can get a 'poop cup' to cover the front openings, or just use duct tape or masking tape to cover the front, lower openings to keep him from licking through the muzzle.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest kirstenbergren

My vet can treat a sore, we talked about many options and decided that we'd try to get him to stop licking it by the methods I've described in my previous posts. The problem isn't the vet, it's my dog wanting to lick the sore until it bleeds again. I will try the muzzle if it isn't getting better in the next few days. It looked pretty good this morning, I assume he left it alone last night. Maybe the antihistamine is working?? We'll see what it looks like when I go home on my lunch hour to take him out.

His lip also looked great this morning! Just a little pink left to clear up on it.