New Grey Will Not Hang Around Family During Daytime

Guest itsagreytlife

Guest itsagreytlife

We are in the process of adopting our 2nd grey, Chance (Lastofmanny)! He is a gorgeous, tall, light brindle, 3 yr old. His temperament is delightful and he is just the right mix of playfulness, affection, & sensitive. I believe him to be quite smart as well. He loves Selah and Selah likes him, except for when he bothers her when sleeping or tries to "play" outside. She gives him one correcting growl (or bark, when outside), and all is well. She has been an only dog for a year, so I am giving her time to get used to sharing her space. She doesn't seem to mind when he plays with her stuffies, so that is a great sign.

He is a dream to walk, enjoys meeting people, great with kids & cats, doesn't have space issues, etc. He loves going out on walks, just like Selah (gets very excited). Is not as hyper as Selah when greeting people (she loooves to meet people), but he is not shy at all. He doesn't seem to be noise phobic: is not startled with sink disposal, ice maker, or when I dropped something (on purpose) on tile floor near where he was lying. Does not startle when cars go by, etc. He rides perfectly in the car. He is affectionate and loves to come to us for "love hugs" and puts his head on our legs, etc. It hasn't yet been a week yet, so I have instructed my son & hubby to take it slow with the attention/affection, so he has time to just settle in. Its hard, of course, bc he is so sweet and gentle. Am having to crate train him; he doesn't like the crate but we are making progress--this a.m. after eating his breakfast, I opened the crate and he stayed in there voluntarily for a few minutes! Bravo!

The only strange thing is this: He seems to be wary of the TV and also doesn't seem inclined to stay in the same room as us. First night he was lying right next to Selah in great room (biggest central area where TV is) with the TV on and seemed fine. But next day, he started camping out in the sunroom, which is off the kitchen which is off the great room. I thought it was just the TV for awhile (whenever it was turned on, he gave it a wary look and sauntered out to the sunroom), but now I have noticed he will not lie down near me & Selah when I am in the front room (where my laptop is) and for the most part does not come into the great room at all, even with the tv off--except for brief affection-getting. Selah is not always in this room with me, so its not Selah. He seems fine staying all night in the bedroom with us, lying on a bed next to Selah. He doesn't appear to be afraid: no shaking, salivating, panting, pacing, whining, etc. He just walks away and settles onto the thin towel I have near the sliding door in the sun room. He has plenty of beds to choose from. If I'm in the front room or great room for awhile, he will walk out and sorta check on me and then go back to the sunroom. I have tried clicking & treating with just tv on and muted, and he will come in while treats are coming, but then just walks out again. I have since stopped doing that, opting instead to just let him be and hope that he eventually joins us.

Its strange because he is quite loving with us, and is interested in our comings and goings. I know from the first two greys, that patience is rule #1 when they first come into your life/home. But this is so strange, I thought I'd post about it. He is such a wonderful boy, I can't help but be concerned (and saddened) that he may just always be out of arms reach from us. I am so used to greys being in the same room as us. I am housetraining & crate training, and I think that's enough for the time being.

Any thoughts on this or similar experiences? Or perhaps just some supportive messages that I have nothing to be worried about, that "he will come around..."

Thanks everyone!

Summer had started the same time of behavior very shortly after we had got her. I blocked off her ability to go upstairs (she would go up and lie on my bed) and thus she had to stay in the main floor family room with me. She got over it after a few weeks and now she will only retreat upstairs during a thunderstorm. Apparently my bedroom is her safe zone and for thunderstorms, I have no issues whatsoever with her going up there if it comforts her.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

If you are his first home from the track it is just taking him a while to adjust to all the changes in his life. A house is a much noisier and busier place than where he is used to living. He's not used to being around people 24/7. Give him some more time - it can take months for some to adjust - and be patient with him. He will eventually come out of his shell! Then you'll be posting about always having this dog under your feet!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We have had Franny for over two years and we hardly see her. She spends most of her time on her bed in our bedroom, even though she has a bed in the living room too. This is just her personality. She loves us and attention, but it's more on her terms. This is how we accept her.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest itsagreytlife

I should add that he spent 1 month in his foster home and they noticed he never joined them in the tv room either. We will be patient and love him no matter what.

Our greys go where ever they wish...sometimes in the great room, on the landing on the stairs, at the top of the stairs, in the office, in the bedroom, in the walk-in closet...you get the idea. I have no idea why they choose one location over another :dunno

Why do you crate him?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross