Update On Zuri's Puncture Wound

We had our 3rd laser treatment and bandage change today (Monday was our first) and while I don't have much to compare it to, I was impressed with the progress on the wound healing. :thumbs-up The inflammation is pretty much gone and the hole, which was originally big enough to stick a pencil in, was about the size of a q-tip stick (not the head of the q-tip, just the part you would hold, basically very small :P). In 4 days, I have to think the laser therapy had something to do with that.

The treatments themselves weren't that costly (around $82 for 3 treatments). Of course with each treatment came a $30 bandage change :rolleyes: but I suppose I could have insisted on doing those myself.

From here on out, I will be doing them every other day. She'd like me to keep it bandaged until the hole completely heals, which she said could be as much as 7-10 more days, but I'm hopeful it will be sooner based on how he's looking. We're done with the laser treatments though.

Anyway, just wanted to report in since some people were curious - I would definitely do the treatments again based on what I saw.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yeay! Good progress, Jen! You've probably already reviewed the good foot-bandaging tutorial posted before, right? It can save some nasty additional sores and healing time. Oh, here it is: http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/2009/06/bandaging-for-greyhounds.html

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Thanks. I'm fairly adept at bandaging, but I paid special attention to what my vet did this morning to be safe. She did also give me something she's been using called Derma Gel. Seems like a great product, I think in addition to helping the wound heal (she's also putting trypzyme right on the wound, something I've been a fan of for years) it may also be helping to prevent sores. She puts a generous amount of it on a large sterile gauze pad, then pushes that in between the 2 toes where the wound is, then starts the wrapping.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

is the laser treatment she's getting called "cold laser"? that's what Nube's chiro did on his foot last winter, when it swelled up so bad (his back left, not the one that has the osteo in it now). It really seemed to help. She also said it can be used to treat final-stage bone cancer (pain management).

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

is the laser treatment she's getting called "cold laser"? that's what Nube's chiro did on his foot last winter, when it swelled up so bad (his back left, not the one that has the osteo in it now). It really seemed to help. She also said it can be used to treat final-stage bone cancer (pain management).

Yes, he got cold laser treatments, 3 in total.

Cold laser was awesome for Sutra's knees...glad it helped with Zuri's wound!

Fritz has had a few punctures and torn webbing...our old vet tried something called Aquacel on him-it looks like fabric...you cut a piece to cover the wound and then bandage it. The bodily fluids turn that fabric to a gel that helps promote healing. It was AWESOME!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--