Depressed Appetite In Hot Weather

Just wondering if other hounds' appetites are down as Annie Bella's appetite is, due, I assume, to this hot weather. She was eating fine up until about 3-1/2 weeks ago when the first big heat wave hit the Northeast. Since then, she hasn't wanted to eat or walk much.

Regarding walking, she gets all excited at the word, but the minute we hit the outside, her head drops and her tail droops. It's as if somebody pricked a balloon and all the air went out.

Regarding food, she might eat some kibble mid-morning, when previously she was ready for breakfast at 6:30 AM. She's still liking her treats, but she never got a lot of them and I'm still giving the same amount. I have occasionally scrambled a couple of eggs for her, which she's liked a lot.

Come supper time, about 4:30, she usually eats right away, but is leaving about a third of it in the bowl.

The good thing is she's lost only a pound or two, but I wouldn't expect her to lose much weight because we're also not walking more than a third of a mile twice a day, and sometimes less because she gets heated so quickly.

Edited by Feisty49

Taylor's appetite seems to be the same even though the heat index here in South Florida has been in the 90's for weeks and weeks.

Walks are another matter.

He seems to forget (EVERY TIME), that the walk he is so excited to go do is something that makes him slow down like a turtle and I get this look "I don't wanna walk anymore....I am hot...I am tired.....carry me home".

But, he trots right along each time we go to Lowe's and go "shopping" in air conditioned comfort.

My one dachshund (Mac) seems to be having trouble in the heat, also. I was worried but this week he has definitely perked up since the heat wave broke. He was eating just once a day and generally seemed to just wilt. The other 2 were fine.

I have had to force him to come downstairs in the morning or I take the food up so he can eat. We keep the ceiling fans running along with a floor fan downstairs. No A/C here- it bothers my sinuses.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Guest SoulsMom

Soul eats less when it's hot . . . he's starting to look thin to me, but I know I'm the same way too. When it gets hot my appetite decreases. Zoe, on the other paw, will eat ANYTHING at anytime :lol

Guest IrskasMom

Just wondering if other hounds' appetites are down as Annie Bella's appetite is, due, I assume, to this hot weather. She was eating fine up until about 3-1/2 weeks ago when the first big heat wave hit the Northeast. Since then, she hasn't wanted to eat or walk much.

Regarding walking, she gets all excited at the word, but the minute we hit the outside, her head drops and her tail droops. It's as if somebody pricked a balloon and all the air went out.

Regarding food, she might eat some kibble mid-morning, when previously she was ready for breakfast at 6:30 AM. She's still liking her treats, but she never got a lot of them and I'm still giving the same amount. I have occasionally scrambled a couple of eggs for her, which she's liked a lot.

Come supper time, about 4:30, she usually eats right away, but is leaving about a third of it in the bowl.

The good thing is she's lost only a pound or two, but I wouldn't expect her to lose much weight because we're also not walking more than a third of a mile twice a day, and sometimes less because she gets heated so quickly.

same here :) :) :)

Taylor's appetite seems to be the same even though the heat index here in South Florida has been in the 90's for weeks and weeks.

Walks are another matter.

He seems to forget (EVERY TIME), that the walk he is so excited to go do is something that makes him slow down like a turtle and I get this look "I don't wanna walk anymore....I am hot...I am tired.....carry me home".

But, he trots right along each time we go to Lowe's and go "shopping" in air conditioned comfort.

Carry me home.... :lol :lol

Edited by Feisty49

Guest BillNY914

I have noticed the same thing with Benny. When it's hot... he doesn't want to eat. It's pretty upsetting to me when I have to throw the food out. I let it sit for 20-30 minutes, if he doesn't eat it, I throw it out. I guess if he's hungry, he'll eat. He's not even really interested in treats when it's hot, at least he is drinking water. Doesn't look like he's lost weight either. It gets very frustrating, I was actually looking for any threads that may be related. Glad I'm not alone.

I have noticed the same thing with Benny. When it's hot... he doesn't want to eat. It's pretty upsetting to me when I have to throw the food out. I let it sit for 20-30 minutes, if he doesn't eat it, I throw it out. I guess if he's hungry, he'll eat. He's not even really interested in treats when it's hot, at least he is drinking water. Doesn't look like he's lost weight either. It gets very frustrating, I was actually looking for any threads that may be related. Glad I'm not alone.

Up until Annie Bella's appetite faded, I fixed her kibble with a couple of squirts of fish oil and some water. That gets pretty unappetizing quickly if not eaten within a half hour, so now I just toss the 1.5 cups of kibble in her bowl dry and leave it. By 10 AM, about half of it is gone, though I never see her eat it, which is normal for her -- eating unobserved is one of her quirks. She's eating her supper and actually giving me the "I'm Hungry" look about an hour before supper time. Again, though, I'm just tossing dry kibble in the bowl and leaving it. She eats all of it right away.

Guest BillNY914

I guess I should have added that I mix his food with canned and a little warm water.... he's been eating this combo for a few years. If it were just dried kibble, I would "recycle" it so to speak, and not throw it out.

Guest SoulsMom

I guess I should have added that I mix his food with canned and a little warm water.... he's been eating this combo for a few years. If it were just dried kibble, I would "recycle" it so to speak, and not throw it out.

Soul has to eat the very expensive prescription I/D so I hate throwing it out too. I also mix the dry and canned with water. I just put his leftovers in a bowl in the fridge and give it to Zoe with her next meal. He won't eat it leftover, but she will eat anything. It's helped with her farts too :lol

Aquitaine is much less interested in eating in this weather. I have switched to having her eat before we go out for our walks so she is still cool. I have also had to go back to sitting on the couch holding her bowl in order for her to eat, even then it is far slower than it was just 3 weeks ago. She does not enjoy summer.

One of my three is not eating well the past couple days finishing less than half of each meal. I started adding just a bit of cooked rice and she ate better tonight. Our temperatures have been in the 100's here and it is miserable by late afternoon my air conditioning hasn't been able to keep the house as cool as usual getting up to 80 in the house late one afternoon. Thank God for fans!

Guest kirstenbergren

PJ eats less when it's really hot and muggy outside. I try to keep him indoors as much as I can on those days to help him eat more. I'll walk him in the late evening after the sun has gone down so it's a little less hot. He's still pretty new to us so he likes walking when there are less people out anyway.

Guest FreddyGirl

Regarding the walks, don't forget how terribly hot the blacktop gets. perhaps the not want to walk pups also have this issue. just thinking. Mine here want to go out REGARDLESS of heat or humidity, everyday. I draw the line for them:)

Guest poofmagk

Same here, our two have been eating dinner but leave much of breakfast in the bowl. Living in the south where this weather is here to stay I wonder how long they can keep this up!

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. I think I posted about my concern about my Diana not eating a bit ago. It's the weather. If you look at the locations of posters - the Southern dogs do fine all the time, even when the heat spikes in the summer - the Northeast dogs get "peakish" (as my grandma would say) when we get our little bit of hot weather. Diana did fine when she first came here, but after being a Northern girl for a few years - she HATES being hot.

One thing I've done was quit putting water on Diana's food. I've always put a bit on all my greys' food. But I've realized if I feed it dry she will pick at it throughout the day. She's almost back to normal food intake this way. And that's fine - her activity level is so low right now she doesn't need as many calories.