Vacation Dilemma / Separation Anxiety

Hi All,

Zero is great...8 years old, nice shiny teeth, soft coat, lots of smiles and hugs.

I have a dilemma I'd like to share with you all and interested in your thoughts. I'm going away on a vacation this Summer for a week. It's about 4 hours away with my family. I will going several places where dogs aren't allowed. When I'm at work Zero alone in my house baby-gated into my bedroom, a hallway and the guest room. He's home for ten hours a day with Kongs and toys and does great. He's a very good boy. The problem is, if I travel with him somewhere and have to leave him alone at say my mother's house where he's been several times he doesn't do well, panting, drooling like crazy, chewing up moldings on the doors and goodness knows what else. He doesn't crate well either, I've already gone down that route.

So here are my options (any other suggestions would be appreciated):

1.) My dog/house sitter isn't available that week. He's a great guy and Zero can be home and "safe"

2.) I could bring him with me, but just don't trust him in the house alone. I could do the go away for a minute, come back, 2 minutes come back, 3 minutes, come back, etc., etc., etc. thing, but I honestly don't know if that will work. If it doesn't I'm kind of limited as to what I can do as far as going places, doing things, etc.

3.) Sure I could have family members watch him, but don't really want to "burden" them with that. They all have busy lives during the week as we all do.

4.) I took him to a local greyhound rescue for a night and they said he did fine in the crate with other greyhounds around. It's just that I left him alone in a crate in my Mom's house once and he actually got out of it and could have killed himself in the process, than God he didn't.

5.) I thought about finding someone else with a greyhound that could sit him, but he had an "issue" once when left alone with another grey. Who started what I'm not sure.

So there you have it. I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for reading (listening),

Zero's Daddy

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

4.) I took him to a local greyhound rescue for a night and they said he did fine in the crate with other greyhounds around. It's just that I left him alone in a crate in my Mom's house once and he actually got out of it and could have killed himself in the process, than God he didn't.

There's big difference in being crated alone at your mom's house and being crated among other greyhounds. Why not try letting him spend another night at the rescue and see if it goes well again?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

There's big difference in being crated alone at your mom's house and being crated among other greyhounds. Why not try letting him spend another night at the rescue and see if it goes well again?

:nod

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yup, I could try that

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Just had a thought, but don't know if it will work for you. Could you possibly find someone to stay with him at your Mom's house while you are gone? He'd be with you. He'd be in a home he knows and would have human company and be safe. So many variables to this idea it is probably a bit crazy but I thought I'd throw it out here.

Really is a good idea to try to kennel him with other greys overnight and see how he does. These dogs really like being with their own kind more so than any other breed I've ever owned.

Good luck.

Can you board him at the rescue where they will crate him and keep him safe? Where I live we board them at the adoption kennel.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest LindsaySF

I agree. When I board Greys here they are always fine being crated, even if they don't like the crate at home. Being around other Greyhounds reminds them of the racing kennel, and most Greys do well in that type of environment. :) Plus at the rescue they wouldn't be leaving him alone loose with other dogs, so there won't be any disagreements with other dogs. Good luck!

So because the greyhound place near me is booked I'm going to board Zero at a very highly rated "pet resort". The local greyhound rescue recommends them. Zero is getting a "deluxe sweet" which is a very large fenced in area with a bed, rugs, toys and all sorts of extras. They take the dogs out for walks five times a day and because Zero is in the "deluxe sweet" he will be getting extra love and attention.

If the new "pet resort" allows, great to take him over for visits (with you) a couple of times long before you leave. Good to take his regular food when you're dropping him off for your real vacation.

ETA: Hounds often appreciate their own comfy bed (and scent) from home too.

Edited by 3greytjoys