Prion Vs Des Vs Not Doing Anything Right Now

Guest JoyceJ

Guest JoyceJ

Over the last 6 weeks or so, I've found our human bed wet once and the couch wet once. Yesterday it was the human bed again, including my husband, who was still asleep at the time. Autumn has been checked and doesn't have a UTI. So my question is: did you jump right to Prion or DES (with their side effects-increased blood pressure or heaven forbid-stroke) or did you try something like parsley or some of the bladder support supplements first?? What were your results? Otherwise she is a healthy and happy 13 year old (she's a tiny 48#) who still thinks she's a 3 year old. Thanks everyone!!

We went straight to Pronin with excellent results. I was able to taper her off to 1/2 twice a day. In the meantime, I highly suggest a Sealy waterproof mattress pad. I think mine came from Kohls years ago and it saved my life when Bella started having problems.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest JoyceJ

@MaryJane: No change in her eating or drinking. She has had over the past 2 weeks her full senior checkup (including blood work, which was all within normal greyhound levels) and a dental. Urine not cultured. Would obviously do that before staring her on anything.

@Pam, thankfully we have a waterproof mattress cover already.

Before going to medicine, you can try a lower-protein food, which is often better for older dogs anyway. We did this with Shane (Royal Canin Renal MP, which is a moderate rather than low protein food), and it slowed down his leakage a lot. He has slightlly elevated creatinine (2.1) though, and a slightly low specific gravity (1.016), so he has some kind of mild kidney issue. So this part might not be relevant to your girl.

What actually stopped the leakage entirely was a combo of methocarbamol and tramadol for his musculoskeletal pain! It was astonishing, really, to find that connection. He does, however, still lick body parts so much sometimes that the bed beneath them becomes wet; and I'll know for sure that this is it because I'll have watched it happen. (We also have disposable bed pads tucked into the dog beds, btw.)

Best of luck with your girl!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

What actually stopped the leakage entirely was a combo of methocarbamol and tramadol for his musculoskeletal pain! It was astonishing, really, to find that connection.

Interesting. Bella was on Pronin and methocarbamol both. The latter for possible spinal sheath problems.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest LindsaySF

Sophie's incontinence is caused by her anti-seizure meds, but we did rule out a UTI first. Her neuro said DES is safer so we chose that over Proin. With either drug, Greyhounds seem to be more sensitive than other breeds, so you can probably start with a low dose to be on the safe side, then increase it if needed.

Two of our grey girls have urinary incontenance. Both went right on Proin. We started both on 25 mg daily which worked for awhile. After several wet beds (yes, a waterproof mattress pad is a life saver!) - and me getting tired of doing laundry daily - we've upped them both to 50 mg daily. So far - So good. We haven't had any side effects or other health issues. Both our girls had full exams and bloodwork last month.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Rainey did the same thing (wet the bed twice) and found to have incontinence. We put her on DES (far better/safer than Proin IMHO) and she was fine after that, was on it for 5 more years.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway