Can You Switch Dog Food Too Often?

It's been a struggle the last couple years to get Patrick to eat his food. Then he got really sick, lost weight, and got pickier. I'd really like him to gain back the weight he lost. He has a great appetite, just not for any food he's been fed for more than a couple of weeks--feed him any new kibble, whatever I pill him with, heck yesterday he scarfed down a mushroom I dropped on the floor. I think he gets bored. I'd get bored too I guess.

Anyway, is there any reason not to alternate between foods on a regular basis? He doesn't have any stomach problems when we switch food.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I always rotate food. Especially if Patrick does not have a problem with food switching, I don't see a problem with doing so. There are also other options, like giving him his 'main' kibble and doing add-ins to it. You'll find lots of ideas for that on this forum.

My two bridge greys were very picky eaters. With my current grey (I have him for 8 months now) I tried a few brands i.e., TOTW, Natural Balance, Wellness, but even though he is a great eater, the pudding poop was there. Then with the recalls (arrrggg) I now have him on Acana Ranchlands. He loves this food, eats every morsel, and I don't need to add in anything to get him to eat it. I do put in a tablespoon of plain yogurt in the morning breakfast, though.

Just get ready to do lots of research as some of these greys are like chemistry. You have to keep trying things to find what works. (Then it may all change again!)

I used to change food frequently for Rascal--she got bored with it, it seemed. My picky princess, always wanting me to up the ante when it came to her dinner. It used to drive me bananas, but now I wish she were still here making me crazy. :(

Jack is on prescription food (low residue) and wolfs it down with only a little water on it. :) I guess I 'earned' my enthusiastic eater.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

No reason not to switch around. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Angelique

NOP! As long as he doesn't have any stomach issues when you switch, keep it interesting. I guess you could have 5 types of kibble on hand and rotate them....Although my suggestion would be:

a) Have you tried BARF? (They seem less picky about yum yum meat)

b )Rice and chicken/ Rice and Beef / Rice and ANYTHING is a hit in my household even with the pickiest eaters. I don't know, there is something about rice that they all love and will eat tons of, even if i just through in a few carrots & potatoes. Usually though, they get cooked meat AND rice and then they are all happily licking their choppers and begging for more.

Edited by Angelique

Thanks for the advice. Addins work, for a couple of days. We've tried parmesian cheese, yogurt, sour cream, various baby foods, pasta sauce, rice, that liquid gravy stuff. I guess we'll have to find a several decent foods we can rotate through.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I've think rotating foods is great if your dog can handle it :chow . A dog should enjoy it's food in my opinion, and as long as they are eating appropriate diets, keeping things interesting is great! I've never fed one thing exclusively, my dogs all eat a variety of meats and food types.

Edited by RedHead

if it doesn't drive you crazy and your dog tolerates it, then rotate. but i tend to agree w/ batmom- one food and give it to him. i've had picky eaters in the past, out of anxiety i tried everything- green tripe which stank- you name it. one of my salukis did not like to eat and was very very very thin. finally i gave up and put a dry bowl of kibble down and gave him 5 minutes to eat it. he learned, scarffed it down and that was it! i put down food- soaked w/ water for the greyhounds and that's it- only fish oil topper once a day. good coats, good weight, no fuss.

Guest june

My dogs are all good eaters. I put down their kibble and they eat. If they walk away I give them one more chance to eat if not then I pick up the food until their next meal.

I had to board one of my girls earlier this week which is always hard, but it was only for one overnight. When I went to pick her up she hadn't eaten since I dropped her off and they were worried about her. After I took them for a walk and we were home about an hour I fed them. She ate with no problem and was looking for more. I did give her a light snack of kibble before bed last night since she had missed a couple meals. Finished up her food this morning too.