E-Collar Alternatives?

Guest Amy_Bee

Guest Amy_Bee

Gretchen managed to chew a big sore into her haunch and now has to wear an e-collar. I hate it and she hates it more. She seems very depressed, but every time I give her the freedom to go without it, she starts chewing.

I found some e-collar alternatives on various Web sites. They give dogs peripheral vision, ability to eat and drink, etc. Has anyone tried any of these? Some reviews say they don't work for dogs with long muzzles.

Guest Amy_Bee

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying the boxers, even though I don't know if the suggestion was serious! I had to safety pin them because they were too big, and I still think they'll fall off, but I'll see.

And just in case the suggestion of tbhounds wasn't clear: She's not suggesting that you use duct tape to muzzle your girl. ;)

She's suggesting you use a greyhound muzzle and wrap the outside of the muzzle with duct tape to keep your girl from chewing/licking through the holes.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest BlueCrab

There are commercial options out there that include a soft type of e-collar which velcros around the neck but is softer and more flexible than the lamp shade; an inflatable collar that essentially looks like a small inner tube when inflated; a product - the name of which I can't recall but someone here will have it - that is a stiff collar similar to a human neck brace that keeps the dog's neck from flexing around and allowing access to the wounded bit but still allows peripheral vision and easy eating / drinking. The product has had good reviews but I've never used it. A friend loaned me one, but her dog was gigantic and the collar was too huge for our purposes so we used the soft e-collar mentioned in my first line above. The neck brace type thing had sort of a velcro harness that straps around behind the front legs to keep it anchored. Someone will come up with the name.

At home versions can be made with a large bath towel and duct tape to keep the neck relatively immobile while still allowing the dog to look around, eat & drink.

the bitenot collar works really well. the first time felix had staples on his side my vet lent one to me. comfortable, did the trick and the hair on his neck grew in! the next time he needed it i made one out of correguated cardboard, a small handtowel or wash coth and duct tape. worked just as well. check out some images of the product and maybe you can make one as well. i used enough cardboard to go around his neck 2xs. i have all sorts of interesting cardboards for my sculptures and always put them to use.

Guest Amy_Bee

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The boxers I used fell off, so for now she's using the cone. She managed to get it off at one point and licked herself raw again. Maybe I'll look into the Bitenot collar.

Muzzle with duct tape?

Maddie wore a muzzle with duct when she managed to get out of her e collar- I was waiting for a poop guard and in the mean time I tied a piece of string through the tag around the ecollar and then I thought of the duct tape.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I read this thread the other day and mentally thought to bookmark it in my mind for future referance...

TaaDaa - times up - dog was at the vet yesterday getting a dental and when waking from anesthesia she shoved her leg between the bottom and the side of the cage and tore the skin quite a bit as she paniced...sooo she stayed the night while they put her under so they could stitch her up. Picked her up this morning and there are no bandages, which surprised me-I suppose so it could drain a little and get air, but the stitches look great and the problem is she came out with an e-collar on. This thing is just not going to work as long as there are better alternatives.

The cut is 4 inches up from the tip of her rear toe so I am thinking that the inflatable or even the Bite-not collar may not prevent licking the end of long rear legs - what do those of you that have used those products think? I see that most people that bought them had haunch or side injuries rather than leg.

I am thinking a poop-guard on my muzzle is my only out here. - ??

Guest freightsmom

I've used a muzzle with a stool guard. Worked great!

Agree with Brian, The muzzle with a poop guard or with duct tape is the easiest way to go in my opinion. I've had three of my hounds recently have toe amps, dermal hemangiosarcoma removals and a benign cyst removed and rather than fight an E-collar, we used their muzzles. Made my life and theirs easier than a collar.

I used one of those inflatable collars http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/12672.jpg on Peggy to good effect when she injured her knee January. The cone wouldn't stay on and it freaked her but the inflatable she actually came to like as a pillow, especially as I took away her nest bed for a while and she just has a folded up comforter. You can thread a regular greyhound collar thru the inner loops. Muzzle with stool guard is a more reliable option and if they insist on scratching the area and clothing won't stay on then put a bootie on their foot. Aloe Vera gel greatly reduces itching and speeds wound graunlation (obviously only if kept scrupulously clean).